The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid field names using inbound email?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

Valid field names using inbound email?

Hello!

I would like to know if anyone has a list of valid field names to use with inbound email?
e.g. Description: My description...

Is it possible to change all field names in a template when I send an email to SD, or is it only a few field names that are valid?

Many thanks in advance!

/Mathias
15 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Re: Valid field names using inbound email?

Hi
Subject -> to Description,
body -> Information + Attachment(if allowed),
but you can upload by fields if set in body as FieldName=value:
Solution=Ready
, if you rename this field to Result, then must use:
Result=Ready

Vasily
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

Hi Vasily and thank you for your quick reply!

What I were looking for was a list of valid fieldnames; for example I would like to set the 'To Workgroup'-field in my first email to SD but it doesn't seem to work... I've tried To Workgroup=SUPPORT, 'To Workgroup'=SUPPORT, "To Workgroup"=SUPPORT,
=SUPPORT but none of these seems to work. Do you know the correct signs to use? Is all fieldnames valid to use with email?

Regards, Mathias
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
I never used the relations fields as Assignment in email and not sure so that working by email. :(

Vasily
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Mathias,

As far as I know the format of the field names has to be exactly right. When I want to check exactly what the name is I check how the name of the field appears ina DB rule condition and use exactly that. For example, to update the assignment I have to use
Assignment (More);To workgroup

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

Hi Ruth and thank you for your reply!

When I look in a database rule I get the field [Assignment;To workgroup;] and not Assignment (More);To workgroup as you wrote! Am I doing wrong?
Should I use brackets around the field name?

Regards, Mathias
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Mathias,

Try it without the brackets

hope this helps

Ruth
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

Thank you once again Ruth!

Just to clear things out; Is it first when I choose to update a service call I'll be able to add field names, e.g. Caller=Mathias or can it be done when I create the servicecall?

When I create a servicecall using inbound email and enter e.g. Caller=Mathias, Caller=Mathias jumps into the Description field!

/Mathias
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Mathias,

When you use email to create a call (New command) the subject of the eamil goes into the Description field and the body of the email to the Information field.

You can update a call (Update command) and then in the body of the email you have lines which specifiy which field to update; for example:

Solution: the answer

You can also update by adding a history line (AddHistory line command).

Have a look at the Admin guide and the online help for all the commands available.

Hope this helps

Ruth
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

I really must thank you for spending time helping me out, Ruth!

So it's not possible to add the line Caller=Mathias in the body part of the email when I create a new service call?

My wish is to add the user who sends email to SD in the "Caller" field in the servicecall.

/Mathias
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Mathias,

If you set the permissions for inbound email to be "Only existing persons" then SD will make the Caller the person who has the email address; if you leave it as unrestricted then the Caller is left empty.

You set these by Tools>System> System Panel>Email select the Email commands tab and then double click on the New command in the list.

Hope this helps

Ruth
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

I really must thank you both (once again!)!

You really helped me out!

The solution to my problems is in the previous posts from Vasily and Ruth!

/Mathias
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

Hello chaps,

Just picked up on this thread but am having trouble deciphering the answer(s)!? Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick (which is usually the case).

We would like to do the same here and are currently tinkering also. We are looking at having an external call centre take calls outside of our internal service desk manned times and one option would be for them to email openview@ourcompany.com with the call which of the body of the email could be ...

CALLER: WOODST
DATE_OF_CALL: 08/09/2007
TIME_OF_CALL: 12:00:00
CONFIG.ITEM: SERVER01
DESCRIPTION:I would like to report server01 is down.
CI_INCONSISTENT:Y

Therefore the data above would go into the fields in the service call - BUT - I cannot find the correct list of fieldnames anywhere ...

So, my question (/reply) is ... is the above possible, and if so there a handbook which lists the above fields (i.e. is it CONFIG.ITEM or CONFIGURATION_ITEM or CITEM etc) ...

I have rummaged in all the OV PDFs I can find on the original install CD but cannot find any reference for this.

Any ideas / pointers in the right direction would be most appreciative.

Many thanks.

Steve
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

... unless the NEW email command only puts the BODY text of the email (i.e. all my fields) into the Description field and then our Service Desk agent then goes into the call and moves the field data from the description into the other fields ... but that would be pants wouldn't it ?

Tomorrow we are looking into using the loadobject (as an optioanl alternative) to import service calls - this looks like it has better flexibility - we have already used loadobject to import events so it shouldn't be to hairy.

Thanks for now ...
Mathias Byrö
Regular Collector

Hi Stephen!

As far as I know, it's NOT possible to add such a line as CONFIG.ITEM: SERVER01 when you're using the New command. It can only be done by using the Update command i.e Update 4848 (service call id), so we're not using this functionality right now...

I also miss a complete list of field names that can be used...

/Mathias
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

Thanks Mathias. We have now chosen to go down the loadobject route instead of email import.

We find it much more flexible and have imported a Service Call successfully with a few fields.

However we have come across a problem where we cannot uniquely identify the Caller. Import by Caller name is OK if there is only one person of that name in Openview, however if there are two persons with the same name, it errors (logfile) and wil lnot import.

The Search code isnt (albeit should be) unique so we cannot use this.

We are trying to use the PERSON OID but cannot see a "Person OID / Caller OID" in the import mapping template.

I guess we are looking to a "loadobject" training course or perhaps buy a book ... LOADOBJECT for Dummies :)

I will continue the quest of trying to import caller by Person OID and if I find it I will publish it here.

Many thanks Mathias...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event