Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Using project module in SD 4.5

Highlighted
Yvonne Duxfield
Respected Contributor.

Using project module in SD 4.5

Does anyone have any documentation on using the Project module within SD 4.5?
3 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Using project module in SD 4.5

Yvonne, I don't think you will find much written about Project - it doesn't seem to be used very much.

I have always advised that, rather than making a Change very complex with 100s of Workorders, you should consider a series of Changes linked into a Project.

So, something like a big roll-out (eg Vista heaven forbid) would never be done as one Change but rather a small pilot would be done as one Change followed by "building", "floor" or "regional" roll-outs, these would be a series of subsequent Changes linked to an overall project.

You can make the Changes link together in a Predecessor chain and use DB rules to start the next one when its predecessor closes - you don't get the "interlock" present on Workorders which would prevent a later Project from starting until predecessors are complete - you have to behave yourself!
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Yvonne,

To make things simple: Project is nothing more a container of changes that can be executed in a predetermined order. Projects are to changes what changes are to work orders.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Yvonne,

couldn't have said it better that George. Project is really a container. I guess the idea was to have something that covered Release Management and as a release is a collection of changes (at its basic form) Project checks the box.