Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using project module in SD 4.5

Highlighted
Yvonne Duxfield
Regular Collector

Using project module in SD 4.5

Does anyone have any documentation on using the Project module within SD 4.5?
3 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Re: Using project module in SD 4.5

Yvonne, I don't think you will find much written about Project - it doesn't seem to be used very much.

I have always advised that, rather than making a Change very complex with 100s of Workorders, you should consider a series of Changes linked into a Project.

So, something like a big roll-out (eg Vista heaven forbid) would never be done as one Change but rather a small pilot would be done as one Change followed by "building", "floor" or "regional" roll-outs, these would be a series of subsequent Changes linked to an overall project.

You can make the Changes link together in a Predecessor chain and use DB rules to start the next one when its predecessor closes - you don't get the "interlock" present on Workorders which would prevent a later Project from starting until predecessors are complete - you have to behave yourself!
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Yvonne,

To make things simple: Project is nothing more a container of changes that can be executed in a predetermined order. Projects are to changes what changes are to work orders.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Yvonne,

couldn't have said it better that George. Project is really a container. I guess the idea was to have something that covered Release Management and as a release is a collection of changes (at its basic form) Project checks the box.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event