Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Users Custom Views have disappeared

Highlighted
Jason Suchowski
New Member.

Users Custom Views have disappeared

I have a user that created several views in the CMDB and they have disappears. He has been using them for weeks not and today when he logged in he did not see them. He also did not have his Filters applied either. Has anyone seen this and is there a way to get them back without having to re-enter them. He did not get any errors from the client.
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Users Custom Views have disappeared

Hello Jason,

I have seen it many times. User closes the client and the next time it restarts he finds that all the custom views are lost.

I don't know why is happening but the windows admin has developed a script that it gets a daily backup of the file views.dat (the usual place for it is C\Documents and Settings\PROFILE\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk\
menes fhtagn
Jason Suchowski
New Member.

Thanks for showing me where the config file is located. I have informed my user to keep a copy of this file handy incase he looses them again.
Chris_780
Respected Contributor.

I am unable to find this views.dat file. Did you say it was created by one of YOUR Windows admins? We are having this same problem here, it would be helpful to have this file, or know how to create one of our own.

Thanks!
Chris
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

The views.dat file is created by the application, not the Windows admin person. The path is as George indicated. It's a good idea to back up this file occasionally in case it gets lost. With regards to disappearing filters (a different problem), I have noticed it also since upgrading to 4.5 SP15. I believe it has to do with adjusting views elsewhere (like in advanced find) causing the problem. Have the person losing their views goto Views/Current view/Define views, then highlight each view they have and press the reset button if it shows up - this will re-apply the filters.

Terry
Chris_780
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for the info. I finally found the Views.DAT file in the Documents and Settings/username/Application Data directory. I had done some editing of system views that seemed to cause everyone to lose their custom views. I have no idea how this is possible, I never changed the customization settings for any roles, but I will have people backup this file when they create custom views from now on.

Thanks!
Chris