Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User stops recieving email notifications.

Highlighted
Chris Berwald
Regular Collector

User stops recieving email notifications.

We have a user who used to get email notifications but then all of the sudden they stopped getting them. Everyone else in their workgroup still receives them. There were no changes made in OVSD. I have verified that the user is set up correctly in the workgroup, and their person record is accurate (ie. no spelling mistakes in the email field/dumb mistakes). I have seen this problem before and what I did was add my person record to the workgroup to see if I would get email notifications. I did and all of the sudden so did the user. So thinking everything was fine I removed myself from the workgroup and sure enough that same user was having problems again. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks for any insight to this problem.
Using 4.5 SP 9.
8 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: User stops recieving email notifications.

Chris,

I have not seen this problem, either on SP8 or on SP18. However, if it is a conceivable option (it might not be if you have a lot of historical information to preserve), you might try deleting (or blocking) the user and then recreating the person.

-Josh
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

are you using the "Send me an e-mail when ...." option to send the e-mails or DB rules?

you could also try the following (you never know)
Remove the user from the workgroup and save the work group. Then add the user back in, save again and try again.

Remove the check for "Send me an e-mail"and save the person record. Then add the check back in back in, save again and try again.

Remove the users email address and save the person record. Then add the e-mail address back in back in, save again and try again.

Restart the application servers.

At least it rules out the very basics.
Chris Berwald
Regular Collector

I have tried the suggestions and will post again with the results. Thanks for the help.
Chris Berwald
Regular Collector

I've tried all suggestions except for the person record removal (too many service calls associated with the user). The weird part is that I added myself to the workgroup and I didn't recieve any email notifications, but I recieved email notifications from the other workgroups I was associated with. Could the problem be with the user's workgroup?
Terry A. Moir
Esteemed Contributor

If the other members are still receiving the e-mail, then there should be no problem with the workgroup. I don't suppose the user with the problem has an e-mail rule turned on preventing receipt of the mail? can you send him an e-mail directly?

Terry
Chris Berwald
Regular Collector

No, there are no DB rules associated with this user. I am searching through the OVSD error log to see if I can find anything associated with this problem.
Terry A. Moir
Esteemed Contributor

OK, but just to clarify, does the user with the problem receive other mail from other users (not via Service Desk?) You could try putting your e-mail address in the user's e-mail address field on his person record to test Service Desk.

Terry
Chris Berwald
Regular Collector

Yes, the user can still get regular email. I have sent several myself. So far, I have found nothing in the error log. For, now it seems that the only way around it is just to create specific DB rules for the user. Thanks for all the help. I will keep the topic open in case I stumble across the problem.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event