SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Urgent issue with UI rules not working

Hi,

Have a difficult issue with UI rules in a Change form. Here is the scenario:

We have three different types of changes; Standard, Minor and Major. These are indicated with a check box in the Change form. When selecting any of them the Status codes are limited using an UI rule. This works just fine. The problem is that when the object is saved, all Status codes appears in the list again. The codes are only limited while working in the form (hmmm). I have created a rule that limits the Status codes whenever "A form of an existing object is opened". This again saves us when working in the form but as soon as we click the "Save" button, all codes are there again.

Has anyone come across this before? As always this is quite urgent....

Regards,
Mikael
6 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Urgent issue with UI rules not working

Hi Mikael,

What version are you using?

If 4.5, I think the only thing you can do is try a UI rule like this:

When a value has changed
Condition:
Type of change is Standard (WITH the "evaluate this .." box CLEAR
AND Status equals one of the NOT allowed statuses with the "evaluate this .." box SET
Action: limit the values

This will mean as soon as they select a forbidden one they are forced to alter it.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for your advice. We are actually on OVSD 5.1 but I guess that does not matter. I set up a rule as you explained and also tried one that trigger "After a field gets in focus". In both occasions it does the right thing but after pressing "Save" and pulling down the Status list I can see all the values again. When actually highlighting the field it changes the values to the right ones.

I guess "After a field gets in focus" does not trigger if you only pull down the list. As soon as you highlight it though, it seems to work.

/Mikael
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mikael,

After a Save there is no way (as far as I know) of preventing the "forbidden" values being seen but as said above, you can stop them selecting a forbidden one.

In general, when I train staff I always recommend doing Save and close rather than Save but you cannot really stop them doing Save.

Regards, Ruth
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Ok, then I know.

I am thinking of turning the Standard, Minor and Major checkboxes into a Code -field instead. I am not sure this will change the result though. Do you have any other ideas where the Status list can be limited permanently based on a selection in the form?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Mikael,

Using a Code field instead of checkboxes will not help with this issue though it sounds better to me for other reasons.

I think you have to accept that if people use the Save button there is no way you can prevent them seeing all the statuses from another field on the form though (as we have said above) you can stop them selecting them.

May I ask why it is so important that they cannot be seen?

Regards, Ruth

PS dont forget the points
Rodd_1
Super Contributor.

Hi again Ruth!

I guess we have to accept this fact. I already tried the Code field option and as you said we get the same result. The reason why this is important is that we have a lot of different statuses for the different types of Change. A "Major" change is a long process that includes a lot of steps. If selecting the "Standard" change though, you should only be able to see three statuses. This will be confusing to use if you have selected "Standard" change and still see more than ten statuses in the list.

Maybe it is an educational issue but still, people will use the "Save" button and in that case it is hard to explain this behaviour in the form.

I have submitted the points to you and thanks again for the quick answers.

/Mikael