Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent! - HTML e-mail generating too many attachments

Highlighted
NMOLL
Regular Collector

Urgent! - HTML e-mail generating too many attachments

Hello everyone,

We are experiencing a serious issue regarding HTML e-mails.

When users are sending e-mails from outlook to HP Service Desk, the mails are being send as HTML, which causes Service Desk to convert them into TEXT mails and make attachment like content.html, content.txt etc. (also embedded images are converted to .txt).

These files are becoming a big problem for us. Every ticket created by mail from outlook is generation 2-5 attachments and our FTP server is currently at 80.000 folders with 150.000 files, growing fast!

We have tried to convert the HTML e-mails to TEXT on our exchange server but without any luck.

I can’t believe we are the only one facing this problem. Is there anyone out there who can help us come up with a solution? and maybe a way to delete all .html/.txt attachments already in HP Service Desk.

Thank you!
8 REPLIES
sm.manager

Re: Urgent! - HTML e-mail generating too many attachments

Hi Niels

Could you tell me how you have configured the Inbound mails with service desk??
I am also trying to configure the service calls logging by inbound mails but not getting proper steps which have to be follow.Please send me the doc if you have any for the same. That will be very appreciated!

Thanks !!
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Have you tried unchecking the "insert attachments allowed" box on the relevant commands (New, Update etc) in email settings> Email commands tab?

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
NMOLL
Regular Collector

Hi Uzzawal,

I think we should keep this in a separate thread. I'm really keen on solving our own issue right now.

Here are the basic steps in HP Service Desk 4.5 for setting up e-mail

Active the SMTP protocol in the HP Service Desk Server Configuration

Fill out the general tap in the mail configuration found on the system panel in Service Desk. (e-mail server, from address, etc.)

Create a Service Call template with all required fields pre-filled

Add an inbound e-mail address in mail configuration found in the system panel, and relate it to your template.

If you add the inbound mail address called "default", then you should be able to send mails to "default@", which should create a new service call by using the template you created in step 3.

I hope this will help you solve your problem. If not, please start a new thread.

Is anyone out there able to help me with my original question?
NMOLL
Regular Collector

Hi Ruth,

We are using attachments a great deal in our daily work. All normal attachments like excel spreadsheets, documents and drawings is still needed in our environment. Disabling this feature is unfortunately not an option.

What is everyone else doing about this issue?
sm.manager

Thanks For your reply!!
NMOLL
Regular Collector

Anyone able to help me with this issue?
Rory Emmans

I am having the same issue after we upgraded from SP19 to SP25 one week ago and have logged a ticket with HP. I you attach the same file twice the first ticket is converted to the name of content.txt (ASCII file) and the second file attaches correctly andis readable. This happens for all file types when Service Calls are created with the email listener. We to have tried the recommended change on Exchange Server 2003 with no luck. The first file is always converted to content.txt and all the rest of the files attach correctly no matter what the file extension is. Please email me at remmans@krollontrack.com if you have a solution for this.
Rory Emmans

You might want to look at this. I just had this implemented and we only get one attachment now. This change needs to be done at the Exchange server level for a particular mailbox
http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/000909.html
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event