Uploading of CI data from Asset Center to Service Desk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
CA1457266
Regular Collector

Uploading of CI data from Asset Center to Service Desk

Hi,

I have a scenario in which Asset Center is integrated with Service Desk. The CI data is first ftped from Asset Center to Service Desk. Can someone provide info on how CI data load happens in SD CMDB through SD_import?

Any information would be useful.

Regards,
Anu.
8 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: Uploading of CI data from Asset Center to Service Desk

Anu,

The process is extensively documented, with examples, in the OVSD manual. You should really check there.

Basically, here is what happens.

1) Create an XML file with the data
- you can do this on your own, with any tools you want; or
- you can do this using the DataExchange system, which involves describing the data source and what to extract in an .ini file. In this case, you need to create either an ODBC or JDBC data source, first.

2) Create a mapping for the data in the XML file to the data in the OVSD database. The mapping also indicates how you are going to match the data to import to the existing data, so that you know whether to update an existing update, or create a new item.

3) Run the import.

4) Check the log for errors.

-Josh
CA1457266
Regular Collector

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the information which you provided.

Actually in our scenario, xml data is ftp'ed from Asset Center to SD. Then as mentioned by you, the data from the xml file is mapped to the data in the OVSD database.

I need to know if there is a way to batch upload this data which is ftped from Asset Center to SD?

Regards,
Anu
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Anu,

Yes, that is what sd_import is supposed to do.

-Josh
CA1457266
Regular Collector

ok Josh, so you mean to say batch upload of data happens through the sd_import utility right?

Ok then can this sd_import utility be scheduled so that data can be uploaded to SD database at regular intervals according to our requirement?

Regards,
Anu
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor
Solution

That's right - you need to use scheduling software, like cron, at, or any other tool that your organization is accustomed to using, for this purpose.

-Josh
CA1457266
Regular Collector

Thanks Josh for confirming the info.
Thanks for all the info provided till now.
I may get bak if I need any other information related to this ;-)..

Regards,
Anu

CA1457266
Regular Collector

Josh can you tell me in detail the point no. 2 which you had mentioned in your earlier replies :
2) Create a mapping for the data in the XML file to the data in the OVSD database.

How can we create this mapping?

Regards,
Anu
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Anu,

The mapping is done using the admin console un Data Exchange.

You create a template to use for the item to import, You create an ODBC or JDBC datasource. You define a mapping for that item using that template and using that data source.

Finally, you will see a list of all the fields for the item. For each field, you must say what is the name of the source field in the data source. There are various other twists, but you should really check the manual, which documents very well.

-Josh
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event