Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1

Hi!

We are using SD 4.5, sp14, which works fine for us. We have been using SD for about a year now and have about 2500 service calls and 2700 configuration items registered. We have recently installed the change module, but not really started worked with it yet.

Could this be the right time for us to upgrade to version 5.1? What are the pros and cons? Will we in fact downgrade the functionality or will an upgrade to 5.1 improve SD?

Is there an easy way to upgrade, concerning db rules, data and so on?

Regards
/Mathias
19 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.1

Hi Mathias,

you will gain the functionality up to 4.5 SP 17. Note that 4.5 SP 20 has some very good features that 5.1 will not have. However if you go to 4.5. SP 18-20+ you cannot migrate to 5.1.

After OVSD 4.5 SP 20 no new functionality will be introduced only bug fixes.

5.1 has a much improved Service Level Management module than 4.5 however of you don't have change management set up you may not be looking for SLM right now.

Migration to 5.1 is done via scripts. However things like rules have to be recreated manually which can be a pain. I think you still need to engage HP or a partner to complete the migration.

HP have committed to having the successor of OVSD 4.5 and 5.1 available for the end of year 2007 (check with them to see if this is still on track) which will include the new version of SLM from 5.1 however the rest of the application may look nothing like OVSD currently does.

I would map out what you are looking to implement and over what time frame. Change next, then problem, then SLM etc. Look at SP 20 and see if you need the functionality it brings or if you can get by with what SP 17 offers.

As you are in the early stages you may not have too much customisation to migrate to OVSD 5.1 so it could be a good time to move if you need to.

Service pages remain unchanged in either version regardless of SP's
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!
Since your set up new, i think it will be better to move to SD5.1.

I feel 4.5 with SP 20 is a better choice. But this holds good for a large and old setup.

Please see the attached. This will show you the road map fo SD.

Going to SD 5.x will make your set up more scalable.

Regards,

Ashly

PS: Thanks for the points, if any.
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Thank you both for your replies!

Do you think that we first should upgrade to sp17, before we even think about upgrading to 5.1?

Is sp17 just as easy to install as e.g. sp14, or does it require scripts to be run?

Thanks in advance!
/Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

SP 17 will require you to run in a perl script to migrate the attachments to a new structure. It is quite straight forward. If not on the server already you will need to install perl. Once the script is run you change the attachments folder in the admin console and it is done (once you have tsted of course). This was introduced with SP 15 or 16.

SP 18 will require updating java to 1.4.x

I think HP recommend upgrading to SP 17 before migrating (it could also be a requirement though I must check)

Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

Please see the attached for migration paths.
Running the script is nothing to worry..it will go cool...

Regards,
Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Thank you once again, you are great!

I think that, just as you said, upgrading to sp17 would be the first step. Do you know where can I find sp17?

Thanks in advance!
/Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mathias,

you can find the patches from here. Register for a HP passport if you do not have one already

Go to the second patch for SP 21 and either click on superceded to be taken to the the other available patches or look down near the bottom of the page for SP 21

http://support.openview.hp.com/patches/sdsk/4.5/win.jsp
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark!

What I'm looking for is sp17. Is it SDSK_00072?

/Mathias
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi!

Sorry, I found it. SDSK_00061 and then SDSK_00072!

/Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Title: Service Pack 17
Document ID: SDSK_00061
Product: service desk
Version: 4.5
Updated: 2006-Jan-05
Critical: No
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi there!

I tried to upgrade our test server to sp17, using the graphical interface (and later by running msiexec /p server.msp). I was prompted to reboot my server, which I did, byt when I tried to start the application server I got this message:

"The version of the application server on servicedesk-s0.intern.uddevalla.se (v4.5.0588.1706) is not compatible with the hp OpenView service desk database version (v4.5.0588.1405)."

I haven't yet installed the "Tomcat 5 and Java 1.4.2 for SP17", SDSK_00072.EXE.

Do you know how to upgrade the database?

/Mathias
Wilfried Riegel
Respected Contributor.

You have to upgrade the database:
start - programs - hp open view service desk 4.5 - application server - database configuration wizard

Regarding the main topic I am not sure, whether update to 5.1 is a good idea.

The roadmaps shown in some other replies are not actual. Meanwhile (November 2006) HP policy is, to release the new product Service Manager 7.0 (Merge with peregrine servicecenter 6.2) End of 2007 and NOT to release any 5.2, like you can think of the old roadmaps. 5.1 will be the last version of the 5.x release.

There will be an upgrade-Path from 4.5 sp20 (!) to ServiceManager 7.0, but there is only an upgrade path from 4.5 sp17 to 5.x available.

Upgrading from 4.5 sp17 to 5.x now, means, that you invest in a product, what will have less functionality than actual 4.5 sp20, which will have no further development and next year you have to upgrade to 7.0.

Why should I invest in upgrading, getting less functionality und knowing, that I have to upgrade next year again, if I can upgrade now to 4.5 sp20 (sp21) without problems, having more functionality und knowing, next year I will get a new product 7.0

I like the GUI of 5.1 and it looks more comfortable than 4.5 and there are some nice features in it, that 4.5 not has, but I would upgrade only in that case, when I need a new functionality of 5.x urgently, what is not available in 4.5.

By the way, administrator has to learn a lot new things, because the database structure is very different and the filesystem structure is not as "simple" as in 4.5, where you have only 5 folders for agent, server, client, service pages.

and, not to to forget, 5.0 was not very stabile, 5.1 seems to be better. But with 4.5 you have a proved systems, which is running with a lot of installation without problems now.

Regards
Wilfried
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi Wilfried!

Thank you kindly for your reply!

I've done some test installing both SP17 and SP21. Both of them looks like SP14, but I haven't been able to test it any further. I tried to upgrade from SP17 to SP21 but it didn't work! The installation whent well, but when I tried to run the database upgrade wizard it still tried to upgrade to SP17! Could this be a known bug, or is it just me?

Do you know, by any chance, where I can find SP20? It doesn't seem to be listed under http://support.openview.hp.com/patches/sdsk/4.5/win.jsp

Thank you in advance!
/Mathias
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Mathias,

You can find SP20 at http://openview.hp.com/sso/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=SDSK_00082

Now about

> I've done some test installing both SP17 and SP21. Both of them looks like SP14, but I
> haven't been able to test it any further. I tried to upgrade from SP17 to SP21 but it
> didn't work! The installation whent well, but when I tried to run the database upgrade
> wizard it still tried to upgrade to SP17! Could this be a known bug, or is it just me?

If running the database wizard it shows that it is on "SP17" then the upgrade to SP21 didn't work. You must go to the installation folder of application server and find the directory named "lib". In there you can find a file named "servicepack.jar". Rename it and re-run the upgrade to SP21. If you launch the database wizard it should show you SP21.

Have in mind that if your previous version was SP14, then you must run a perl script (included in an addendum to SP16) that does the migration to the new attachment folder structure.
menes fhtagn
Wilfried Riegel
Respected Contributor.

To understand the new functionalities since sp14 better, you should navigate to folder "doc" in servicepack 20 or 21.
There will find a sd45_sp20_addendum_en.pdf,
which explains every new functionality since sp8 in a very clear way (and in order of servicepacks)
Have fun with the features.

Wilfried
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Thank you all for helping me out here!

When I installed SP21 it seems that our file structure on our FTP-server was altered without having to run any Perl scripts (it didn't change the current attachements, though). Do you think that I should run the Perl script anyway?

Regards
/Mathias
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Mathias,

If you didn't run the perl script, the attachment stored earlier will not be accessible. If you run now the perl script I don't know what happen to the existing attachments (the ones using the new layout). I suspect that you must run the script and then manually copy the (altered) attachments to the new location.
menes fhtagn
Carol Hibbard
Acclaimed Contributor.

Unless you have a need for some functionality that exists only in SD 5.1, I'd recommend you stay on SD 4.5. You will be much happier with the reliability overall and the functionality in the later service packs (18 and later).
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Thank you all for your valuable thoughts and advice!

Our first step would probably be to upgrade to sp17, so we can migrate the old attachement structure to the new structure.

Thank you once again, everyone!
/Mathias