Did you mean: 

Upgrade SD 4.5 SP16 to SD5.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
testingha_1

Upgrade SD 4.5 SP16 to SD5.1

Hello all,

I have sd 4.5 sp16, installed on a windows 2000 server, and an oracle 9i database, and i would like to upgrade to service desk 5.1. i have seen many threads here showing paths, but i would like to know is how to upgrade, especially that i tried in the test environment to insert the SD 5.1 DVD and start the installation, but it froze on the welcome screen.so what i would like to know is :
1- can i perform this upgrade operations
2- what is the procedure i have to follow
3- are there any changes that have to be made to the database
4- Will i lose any part of my data
5- Will i have to do any reconfigurations
6- Have anyone done it before

NB: i am doing this integration because of an integration in my environment, and i dont mind loosing any functionalities.

Thank You
6 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Re: Upgrade SD 4.5 SP16 to SD5.1

Hi

My advice would be to stay on SD4.5 and just move to a newer service pack(SP23), you will benefit from more functionality doing that than moving to SD5.1

Jay
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there,

First my advice would be DO NOT DO THIS as version 5 is less reliaable, has less functionality, is more complex and more resource hungry than 4.5.

But as you say you have "good" reason for it, I will try and answer some of the questions:

My first point is that is not an upgrade but a migration: the DB structure is different.
Basically, you can take data across using Data exchange but all your configurtions in system admin will have to be done again.

This means you have to get a full understanding of what custom fields, views, forms, roles, rules and actions are in 4.5 and reproduce them in version 5.

And just to make it even more fun, they have altered the way some things work so UI rules in particular have become a nightmare as they interact with DB rules now.

We (fox) are an HP partner so we had to set up both versions for our demonstartion, dev and test systems and it took a significant effort to do.

Good luck! Regards, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

"i am doing this integration because of an integration in my environment, and i dont mind loosing any functionalities."

What can you do in V5 that you cannot do in 4.5 regarding this integration?

Also if you do manage to do the migration and go through the pain, you will have to do it all again in a short period to move from V5.1 to the Servive Manager 7 application that is replacing 4.5 and 5.x. Double the pain in a short period of time.
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

OVSD 5.1 is a piece of ****. I've spent the last 8 months crashing 1 - 3 times a week. We've shut off all kinds of features since go live and the future looks just as bleak. Performance is also abysmal. HP will provide no data with which to set our expectation but tells us that our expectations of sub-10second response time is a pipe dream.

For any of us to offer support to you on upgrading from 4.x to 5.1 is to hand you a rusty saw with which to remove your right hand.
testingha_1

Hehe, thank you guys for the replies, well that did it, iam not gonna go through this sticky thing. thanx again.
testingha_1

thank you
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event