The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating SD Clients with latest Service Pack

Highlighted
Jason Langer_1
Occasional Advisor

Updating SD Clients with latest Service Pack

Hey all,

I am new to SD administration and have been asked to come up with a way to update client systems that connect to our SD app servers. I have read through the documentation and the two options that look appealing is the hyper link and the remote updater. I was just curious what people would recommend using and the pros/cons for the two.

Thanks,

-Jason
2 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating SD Clients with latest Service Pack

Hello Jason,

The remote updater is transparent to the user. The client receives the update, it notifies user that a client restart is required, it restarts itself and that's it!

On the other hand
1. Only clients with version higher from SP10 (unofficially, officially it is SP11) can auto-upgrade themselves. That means that if you install OVSD from the Installation CD you have to manual install the service pack.

2. On a client that has not been upgraded yet but it has a version that supports remote update, you have to install SP by hand, if happens to have a hotfix for the upgraded version. By design the remote updater receives a hotfix before receiving the Service Pack and the mix of hotfix for a higher version with a service pack from a lower version doesn't work.

3. Sometimes, if you happen to have a hotfix for the current version and upgrade the application server to a newer version the file "hotfix.jar" doesn't get deleted and the client gets in an endless loop of starting and stopping.

However, even with these limitations we prefer to use the remote updater since it's transparency doesn't requires administrative rights on the client machine.
menes fhtagn
Jason Langer_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Updating SD Clients with latest Service Pack

Thanks George. Just one other question, do the updates get download from the server that is running SD or is it possible to come from a different location? Reason I am asking is I would be worried about the amount of load being placed on the app servers.

-Jason
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event