The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update All Function and UI Rule

Highlighted
Zeenath Aslam
Super Collector

Update All Function and UI Rule

We have a UI rule for restricting users from changing status directly from Assigned to Resolved. But this UI rule will work only with individual records and not with Update All Function.

If I write a DB rule for this restriction, Ill not be able to notify the users that they cannot directly switch to Resolved from Assigned. Is there any way I could notify the users other than sending mail?
2 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Re: Update All Function and UI Rule

Hi Zeenath

Thats correct, UI rules do not trigger when using update all.
like you've mentioned you can use a DB rule and trigger an email.
Alternatively I think you can use a banner to send a message to the machine, but ive not played around with it so I couldnt tell you how to do it.

Jay
Ken Briscoe
Honored Contributor

Re: Update All Function and UI Rule

Jay is correct...but I don't think a banner will help because you need to know the user's PC address to initiate the banner and the machine needs to be on.
The only way is via Email - eg DB rule which resets the Status and emails the user.
BUT - why let most users have access to Update All in the first place (becuase of the UI rule restriction)? You can turn it off in the role.
I usually limit it to Change/Config/Incident manager type roles, not "ordinary" users.
HTH...Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event