Did you mean: 

Update Actual Start

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
dmann
Collector

Update Actual Start

All the records in SD currently have no actual start time on them. The have actual finish populated. (I do not know the reason behind this state of affairs.) Clearly, no duration can be calculated.

What is my best course of action populating actual start and getting the actual duration calcualted?

I think the registered date is the best bet to use for actual start date.

But how?
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Update Actual Start

Hi Bill,

that makes sense in light of your situation. Do you run any reports based on actual start. If so figure out the impact of making the update.

You would need to run a DB rule to update actual start from the registered date as th eupdate all function won't do this.
dmann
Collector

No reports are run off the system yet.

How would i get a db rule to run against tickets which are closed?

The options are created or modified? Unless I open a ticket, I do not think modified would work.
james_n
Super Collector

Hi Bill,

I had to do something like this recently, i did it through data exchange, export the ID and the date registered to csv, but when you import, map the date field to the actual start date.

there may be better ways, which i'm sure the Service Desk pro's will be along to tell you but it worked for me.

hope this helps

James
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

create a boelean field (checkbox) and add it to the form. Create a DB rule to update the value of actual start with the value of planned start. Set the condition of the ruel to fire when the check box is ticked.

Once in place do an update all on all records or just closed records and update the check box to a tick. Once the update all sarts to run the DB rule will run also.

I would recommend testing testing these type of updates in a small controlled batch first to ensure it all works smoothly.
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor

Which ever way you choose will be work, but if I were you I'd make sure to set up a UI Rule to automagically fill in the actual start time when say the status is changed from registered/new to assigned w/ a body attached to it or whatever your process requires. This way you don't have to worry about doing this update again.

Here is what I use:
When a value has changed
where Assignment;To person (*) is anything
AND Status equals Registered/New
Update Assignment status (Update Data) Status set to Assigned,
initial response(aka actual start) update (Update Data) Initial Response set to (Current date)

Reasoning: when call is taken, techs are required to diagnos issue and try to fix, which in my opinion is a first attempt at a fix regardless of the group who actually fixes the issue. It is also a process from the human side that should be addressed, my techs know that when they start work on any request (change, incident, etc) to fill in the initial response date (aka actual start, change name in field text)if non has been entered at that point.

Again this rule (UI) only fires when the status has changed and the item is assigned to a specific individual. otherwise the field is blank until assigned.

hth
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
dmann
Collector

Thanks everyone for the suggestions it great. Mark I used your suggestions to update the old tickets . I have added a UI rule to make sure it gets populated.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event