cancel

Understanding "Time" in Service Desk 4.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Carlos Thompson
Respected Contributor.

Understanding "Time" in Service Desk 4.5

OK gurus, it's finally happened. My boss wants me to completely understand and fix "time" in service desk 4.5. We are a global company and time is really getting complicated.

I have grown from knowing nothing about SD, and in about a year have gotten my HP AIS for HPOVSD and now am one of the two global admins for our system. I am now an expert on everything from DB/UI rules to programing with the API, but 24 hour time in SD has always confused me.

What I need to understand:

-The "SLA Tracking" Tab on a Support Call.
-The calcuations between acutal start/finish/duration/etc. on calls and on work orders.
-How SLA in SD 4.5 is used, or not used. In our case we only have dummy services setup, but nothing regarding SLA. I am worried that in order to fix some of our issues I am going to have to implement SLM.
-How to incorporate business hours and timezones of an internatinal company. We are using the service hours our consultant left us, which is just 7:30a - 4:30pm CST Monday-Friday, which is screwing up the duration times when a person outside of CST creates tickets and the deadline is calculated.

I am looking for documentation on these subjects, and also how your international organization handles 24 time in SD 4.5

We are running HPOVSD 4.5 SP20 with APM installed (to make it even more complicated).

Thanks
Carlos
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Understanding "Time" in Service Desk 4.5

Hello Carlos,

SLA concept is quite complex to be understood in a post.

The general idea is: You assign an SLA to a Service, assign receivers to the SLA, you assign a service level to the SLA (where support hours are defined), you also define what time zone of the SLA is going to be taken into account (provider's or customer's).

Once these are defined there are some calculated fields like:

Actual Duration: It is Actual Finish - Actual Start taking into account support hours of the SLA. For example if support hours on the service level are 8x5 (09:00 - 17:00 Mon to Fri) and actual start is 16:50 and actual finish 09:10 next day, then actual duration will be 20 minutes.

Planned Duration: Planned duration is calculated as Planned Finish - Planned start taking into account either the SLA or the opening hours of the assignmnent group (this behavior is configured on general settings).

Open Duration: It is Actual Finish - Registration Created taking into account the support hours of the given SLA.

Remain Duration: Planned Finish - Current time taking into account either SLA or opening hours

To Deadline: Deadline minus current date and time

The Deadline can be defined on Max Duration Settings taking into account Impact Vs Priority Mapping (as defined in SLA).

If service has not SLA or the caller has is not a receiver of the SLA, the default service level (this can be configured on administration console) is taken into account.

SLA and Service Level are presented in the form of the Service Call but CANNOT be altered. If service has an SLA and caller is a receiver of the SLA then the SLA and the Service Level will be automatically inserted.

In incidents there is a difference. Since Configuration Items can have a service level of their own, you can either insert service (with sla) and CI and HPOV will automatically insert the strighter service level, or leave service empty and CI's service level will be taken into account.

The SLA indicators is quite complex to be analyzed in one post.

I suggest to have a good read of Service Desk user's guide and Service Desk administrator's guide.
menes fhtagn
Carlos Thompson
Respected Contributor.

Thanks George!

Anybody please respond as well. I would really like to hear about people's implementation of 24 hour Global ITSM in SD4.5.

Again, we have NOT setup anything in the SLM Module. nothing.
Carlos Thompson
Respected Contributor.

George, other than the user and admin guides, where there any docs that came with SP's that might be handy?

thx
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Carlos,

Very useful document is Data Exchange guide. Many times data exchange is necessary in an SLA environment (for example NNM events to OVSD Incidents) etc.
menes fhtagn
Carlos Thompson
Respected Contributor.

Also as I mentioned we are using APM v3.1 i think, which has renamed EVERYTHING, making this even more confusing.

George, look at the attached jpeg. What is "BIL" called in non-APM SD4.5?

For example my APM renamed Incident to Alarm, and Call to Support Request...etc, yes it's a lovely lovely thing having to translate all this back to this forum or to HP support....feel my pain! =)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Carlos,

BIL is what we call Service Level.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Carlos,

Before looking at OVSD SLM it is important to have a clear understanding of the services and sla's that are in place first of all. Generally start with the critical services and expand from there. Then look at how the tool calculates the service level.

HP did a lot of improvements to the SLM suite on 5.1, I think largely based on customer feedback. The SLM piece from 5.1 may actually be the only bit of OVSD to make it into SM7

BIL in APM=Service Level

The SLA Tracking tab that you have is just a tab with some date fields. Are they being populated with dates to support SLA tracking?
Note: Actual duration is blank because you are not setting an actual start value in the SR's.