Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Unable to send external mails using email notifications

Highlighted
Ian Green_1
Respected Contributor.

Unable to send external mails using email notifications

Hi Guys,

I have setup some database rules to send emails to requestors etc. This works fine when I am sending mails to clients on our internal mail server but I am not able to send mails externally to another domain for which a workgroup has been setup for. for example, internal mail server is jnbs.com which I do not have a problem sending to. but when I send a problem to nem.com the users do not receive any notifications. If I log into the mail account that is setup for service desk and send the email to someone @ nem.com. They receive the mail.

I need some assistance with this

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Bill Hassell
Super Contributor.

Re: Unable to send external mails using email notifications

Most likely, you are forced to use your company's email server as a relay because your HP-UX machine is blocked from sending direct to the Internet. You need to make sure that sendmail.cf has your email relay server listed after the DS directive. Look for DS in the file: /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

The DS directive is around line 700-800 in the file. It would look like this:

DSemail.mycompany.com

And none if this will work if your company's email server is not configured to allow your HP-UX system to relay.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ian Green_1
Respected Contributor.

Openview is not installed on a HP-UX server but we have one such server that we use for other purposes. it is installed on a Deskop Box operating as a Server.

Where should I look for the Sendmail.cf file? on the Mail Server or on the Server where Openview Server is installed?

Bill Hassell
Super Contributor.

Openview has nothing to do with email. Now I'm going do some guessing here...you are using mailx or sendmail in a script on your HP-UX box and the mail to some addresses bounces back with delivery errors. If this is true, then edit the sendmail.cf on your HP-UX box.

I'm not sure why you are referring to Openveiw (which is not a product at all, it is a brand name with several dozen products like Node Manager and ITO and Data Protector, etc) unless you are trying to send email from the Openview product. Please clarify...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ian Green_1
Respected Contributor.

Sorry Bill,

What I mean is Service Desk.
Bill Hassell
Super Contributor.

OK, now I understand. The term service desk is really OpenView's Service Desk product so now the question is what machine is sending the email? Is it your HP-UX system or a PC or some other system?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ian Green_1
Respected Contributor.

I have configure Service desk to use the mail server to send emails. These emails are triggered by database rules
Ian Green_1
Respected Contributor.

No emails are being sent from HP-UX. Emails are being sent from a windows 2003/Microsoft exchange Server.