Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Unable to get to Openview login screen

Highlighted
Stephen Wood fr
Trusted Contributor.

Unable to get to Openview login screen

Hello All,

Been running live now for one and a half months without a server reboot or a stopping of services (WOOHOO!) ... but ...

A problem has just cropped up. We are running HPOV5.1 SP2 and our SD users are unable to get to login screen after double clicking the icon. Icon properties (-DServer=wwlopenview) has not changed ... on any clients. Same thing happens when I try to run client on the server.

Existing logged on users can still work OK but any new attempted logins fail with error (see attachment) and upon clicking OK on error msg, Openview client closes down. See attachment also for service state (in Windows Services, all HP* services are running.

I can access HPOV sddb data tables via SQL manager from my client PC so SQL is fine. I think it could be one of the services which controls logins needs a restart ... any pointers on which one?

I am only going to start to try this today at 16:30 as this is when our Service Desk ends for today.

My biggest nightmare is to find that when I restart the services, nobody will then be able to login! (Gulp!)

I have searched the forums for this error msg and get a few returns but no real resolution info... am I the first to encouter this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve.
5 REPLIES
Stephen Wood fr
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Unable to get to Openview login screen

Forgot to mention I found the Certificate Server has "Aborted" (unless this was "Aborted" from live date - so I restarted it and its still running ...
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi steve,
first thing to check is whether a ping to wwlopenview works.

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Stephen Wood fr
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Ruth. Hope you are OK.

I can confirm the following:

- I can PING the server from all clients
- I can access sddb_data from all clients using SQL Server Administrative tools.
- I can run my web based reporting, suggesting connectivity to server and database is OK.
- I get the error when running the client *ON* the server also, so i guess we can rule out network connectivity.

It sound to me like a communication process from client app (and client app on the server) to an OV service is not working correctly. Perhaps as if a service has "hung" and needs restarting to "relisten". I think we had a similar prob the week before we went live, but JL restarted the OVC CTRL service and logins started to work again (well actually he issued the ovc -stop but it didnt work - indicating that the OVC service had hung, so we killed the process instead ... hopefully an OVC CTRL Stop / Start will work OK this time also :) If not, its another kill and hope for the best :)
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Steve,

In that case I think you will have to try restarting the services - Good luck!

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Stephen Wood fr
Trusted Contributor.

Fix: Ask all current SD users to log off Openview then at the server perform the next stepsâ ¦

1) Start, Settings, Control Panel, Services
2) Stop HP CTRL Service
3) After it has stopped***, stop the other Openview services.
4) Take a SQL backup if you wish
5) Reboot server
6) Log back in and ensure all services have started (give it a couple of minutes to sort itself out)
7) Re-attempt login from clients.

*** It may (as it did with us), come back with â Service did not respond in a timely fashionâ after about a minute or so. In this case it will not allow you to then start or stop this service, confirming my assumptions that a part of the CTRL service had hung. So just go ahead with points 4-7 and cross your fingers

This seemed to do the trick for us.

Of course stop any other stuff you have running on your servers also before reboot ... my advice comes with my standard
"DCGTM" guarantee...