The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete the template

Highlighted
Manivasakam
Regular Collector

Unable to delete the template

Issue: Unable to delete the template.
Module:Problem
Action: (delete)Data->Template->Problem

The mentioned Problem template is not related to any problem records, even I am unable to block the template. The requirement here is to delete the template and it should be blocked from users selection.

Unable to delete / block and it is not returing any error while deleting..

Since the template is associated with an "Problem" item even I am unable to prevent the template selection from Problem module users..
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to delete the template

Hello,

Templates cannot be deleted if where used by an existing record. There was a bug, fixed in SP11 or SP10 (I don't really recall) that templates that where used won't be deleted and no error message was presented.

What you can is unrelate the template for every existing role. This way, the template will exist but only the admin will be able to see it.

Alternative, you must locate the item that uses this template through and sql query and update the TEM_OID of this entity to another template's OID.
menes fhtagn
Manivasakam
Regular Collector

Thanks George,
let me try that.
By the way our version is SD4.5 with SP17 connected to ORACLE db.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

As well as George's advice I would also recommend renaming the template (e.g. as "DO NO USE")

Regards

Ruth

PS You could give George some points for his answer)
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you could also create a folder called Do Not Use and place all your obselete templates in here. As George said unrelate the templates from the roles and a Ruth said prefix the template name with Do Not Use" and place then in the folder.
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Furthermore, as from SP20 you can use folder entitlement for templates.
menes fhtagn
Manivasakam
Regular Collector

Thanks to everyone for your support and prompt response.
As per George, I have unrelated the template from the user role. Opened a case with HP to delete the template permanently from database.
Workaround applied to prevent the form selection fro user.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event