cancel

Unable to delete certain My Queues (Service Today) System Views

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Judy Honan
Regular Contributor.

Unable to delete certain My Queues (Service Today) System Views

Whilst attempting to create two new My Queues system views in HPOV SD 4.5 SP17, the desktop pc I was using caused the SD client application to crash.

I now have a new pc, with SD working properly. These two views appear in the My Queues view list via the client gui (visible to all other users too). I wish to delete these two views, but they do not appear under Tools/System/Presentation/Views/My Queues.

I have queried the table rep_view_title_locale (select vtl_text from rep_view_title_locale where vtl_text like 'the name of the view I was looking for') and neither of the views appear to be in this table.

Can someone suggest in which other tables I should search for these "ghost" views? It is important for me to find and remove them, as they are inaccurate due to the fact that the system crashed before I had a chance to edit them. I have attached an image file containing screenshots of the problem.
7 REPLIES
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Unable to delete certain My Queues (Service Today) System Views

Judy,

I would suggest that you may want to stop the Service Desk Service On the application server, clear the cache and start the service again. The cache is normally in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\cache.

I wonder if the views are cached but not stored in the database.
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

If you create the views through the the Views \ Customize or Views \ Define Views options in the client, the views are stored locally on your machine. If you created the views in the admin panel, the views would be stored in the database. Do you remember where the views were made?

As an experiment, you can try renaming the views.dat file to something else. If the views were created locally, renaming the views.dat file would remove the views.

I'm not sure why everyone would be using the same views.dat file but it's something to try.

As Jonathon suggested, clearing the server cache and restarting is a good idea as well.
Judy Honan
Regular Contributor.

Tim, the views were system views created via the admin console. Renaming the local views.dat file makes no difference.

I note that the views.rep file in my local cache contains the offending view names. I purge my local cache on exit, so a new version of this views.rep is created each time I start the client app. This indicates to me that the views are coming from the app/db server.

Jonathan, although the SD application server has been restarted recently, the server cache was not cleared. So I'll give that a go tonight, and report back here.

Thank you both for the quick responses.
Judy Honan
Regular Contributor.

Well, I stopped the server, cleared the cache, then restarted the server - but this did not clear those two views.

Any other suggestions?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

are you purging the client cache on the server or the application server cache?

How did you delete the server cache?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Judy,

I think one of the issues at the root of this is the fact that it is a Service Today view. Service Today is not a "true" entity but a set.

As far as I know, the actual details of the view are kept in the rep_javaobjects table so I think you want an SQL query which shows which of those has no links to the label table.

Something like the following might help:

select ent_name , VTL_TEXT, VTI_COMMENT,JAV_INSTANCE
from rep_view_title_locale, REP_VIEW_TITLE_INFOS,REP_JAVAOBJECTS,ifc_entities
where VTL_VTI_OID = VTI_OID
and VTI_JAV_OID = JAV_OID
and jav_entity=ent_oid
and ent_name LIKE '%View%' ;

Hope this helps
Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Judy Honan
Regular Contributor.

Mark, I purged the server application cache (ie. I deleted files in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\server\cache), not the client cache on the server.

Ruth, your advice provided me with the information I needed. Thanks so much. This query returned the records that I needed to delete (of course I tested and backed-up first):

SELECT JAV_INSTANCE
FROM (REP_VIEW_TITLE_INFOS RIGHT JOIN (REP_JAVAOBJECTS LEFT JOIN ifc_entities ON JAV_ENTITY=ENT_OID) ON VTI_JAV_OID=JAV_OID) LEFT JOIN REP_VIEW_TITLE_LOCALE ON VTI_OID=VTL_VTI_OID
WHERE ENT_NAME Like '%View%' AND VTL_TEXT is null;

Thank you to all who responded - this forum is invaluable!