Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

URGENT !!!!! Help with Change Management Roles

Highlighted
Mahmood Khan_1
Super Contributor.

URGENT !!!!! Help with Change Management Roles

Hi -
I have the following roles in Change management.
1. Change Submitter
2. Change Approver

Change Submitter can also close the change once it is approved.
Now I don't want the change submitter to modify the Planned Date (Start or finish) or any other Out of the box fields. I want the change submitter to update the fields that are required upon close (Post-Implementation Test Results).
I know that I can limit the custom fields by activating or deactivating them based upon the category type. Not sure how I will limit the editing on non-custom fields (out-of the box fields)
Any suggestions ?
7 REPLIES
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: URGENT !!!!! Help with Change Management Roles

Hi Mahmood,

You can accomplish this by using a UI rule with a "Limit Field Value Range" action. I think that it'll make sense how to use once you look at it, but if you need details on how to create this action, just post back.

Thanks,
Chris
Mahmood Khan_1
Super Contributor.

Chris -
Thanks for the reply - I need the instruction
Thanks again
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I have to check but I don't think that you can limit all fields via UI rules but only a subset of the available fields.

Have you looked at using the Status Access and setting the To and Fromn Fields for the role. The drawback here is that the user wont be able to select the Close status

Admin Console-Security-Access Role
Select Change Submitter Role
Choose Details
Select Status Access Tab
and set the status that you want the role to be able to modify
Mahmood Khan_1
Super Contributor.

Thanks Chris -
My roles are limited by the status - but the issue is that I want the change submitter to close the Change request. Now by changing the order of the status values I can allow the change submitter to close the request. But what I don't want the change submiiter to modify the description and other values in the form. how do you have setup the change roles - doesn your change submitter can close the change and if yes - how do you ensure that he doesn't modify anything that was approved e.g Description or Planned Start or End.
If any of these values are changed the change should be re-approved. Custom fields on these things could be a solution where it compares the before and after but that would be around 10 hidded custom fields not a good solution

Thoughts ??
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mahmood,
I'm burning the midnight oil here tonight.

If it helps any we allow the submitters to close the change requests as more often that not they are involved in the implementation of a large number of the requests. They do have the option to change the fields but we have set up that all the fields are recorded in the History tab for any changes made so if they make an update when they really shoudn't we can see what was changed and when. We audit a samlpe number of changes each month one check to to look through the history field to make sure that this type of thing doesn't happen or action on it when it does.

Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi guys,

I agree with Mark that the auditing is a good tool, but I also believe that the UI rule to limit which statuses are available can work. It's what we currently use for our organization. What we did was create a custom boolean field to represent change committe approval. Only the change approver role has rights to the boolean field. Thus, when the boolean is false, we limit the status values with a UI rule. Otherwise, the values are all available.

To create this UI rule, open the Administrator Console ("Tools" -> "System"). Then click on "Business Logic" -> "UI Rules" -> "Change".

Now create a new rule (either "File" -> "New" or else you can click the first button on the left in the toolbar..

In the new rule, select to apply the rule "After an item has been opened". Click "Next". Now, choose the condition when you want to limit the field range. In our case, it was the boolean "Approval" field. You might use the category field from the sounds of it. Click "Next" when your condition is entered. Now, click the "Add" button and choose to add a "Limit Field Value Range" action. Here you'll choose the "Status" field and choose to limit it between whichever statuses you want to be available. Say "Ok", give your rule a name, and you should be done.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense, or if you need some further detail.

Thanks,
Chris
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Mahmood,

I can tell you how I think OVSD was meant to work in this case - which is not the way you are trying to make it work.

The submitter of the change should receive a Work Order after the implementation. The Work Order should ask the submitter to do whatever post implementation tasks as are required by your process. When the submitter completes the work order (providing a status and closure code to the work order), the change manager (I am not sure if this is the same as the change approver in your process) will review the whole and close the change, selecting the appropriate closure code and status.

Change Mgmt is a control process. The whole purpose is to have someone other than the principal actors to control the activities and make sure they meet the processes objectives.

An analogy with incident management is apposite. Who closes your service call tickets? The caller or someone in the service desk organization?

Otherwise, Chris's last suggestion will certainly allow you to do what you want, at the cost of complexity and potential difficulty in maintaining the solution.

-Josh