SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dwyane Everts_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

UI Rule - workorder creation with specific template

All,

(SD 4.5 SP17)
I'm working on a change mgt process for creating workorders.

Scenerio:
An SC is created and the solution is information only (RFI).

Solution:
I need a way to assign 3 workorders, each with a different template, to the SC if the classification is "RFI."
1. Management approval/prioritization
2. Research and Investigation
3. Management review/approval of the response

Can this be done? Is there a better way?

Dwyane
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: UI Rule - workorder creation with specific template

Hello Dwayne,

It can be done in several ways.

1. Through Template
This is the best method, but the template must be chosen before the item is saved for the first time. If the item is saved, the template get's read only.

First step is to create the appropriate Work Order templates.

Second step is to create a service call template that will also open the appropriate work orders. To do that create a service call template and scroll down the list of values till you find"Work Orders". Double click and a panel will open with four buttons.

Use "Relate" to relate existing work orders templates or press Add to create new work order templates. Do this for each work order you want to add. Finish and save the template.

Now, each time this template is used, three work orders will be created.

Have in mind that if "ID After Creation" is selected on System Panel/General Settings the work orders will not be created unless the service call is created
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

2. Through Change

This is pretty much the same thing, except instead of relating work orders to a service call, create a change and relate work orders to the change. The advantage of this method is that the work order execution can be serialized, while in service calls all work orders can start at the same time.

However, creating the appropriate change template with work order serialization is much more trickier than service call.

While creating the Change template you will see "Workorders". Adding workorders is just "relating" their templates with the change. Therefore double click to open the "Work Orders" window and either press "Add..." to create a new workorder template or "Relate..." to use an existing.

What you must have in mind is that within change template you must link ONLY the LAST workorder in chain of workorders and/or workorders without any predecessor/successor relation.

For example:
Suppose that you have a change with four workorders wo1,wo2,wo3 and wo4. Also suppose that wo4 is independent from the others and wo1 must be done before wo2 and wo3 must be done before wo3. The templates you should relate with this change are wo3 (the last in chain) and wo4 which is independent of the others.

You also must make sure that wo2 and wo3 have "Predecessor workorder" defined. For wo2 whould be "TO:wo1" and for wo3 "TO:wo2".

The "TO:wo1" predecessor template must be linked with the template of wo1 and the "TO:wo2" predecessor template must be linked with "wo2" template. To do the relation open the workorder predecessor template and double click on the "Predecessor". At the new window select "Creating a new using a template" and from there choose the appropriate workorder template.

So in order to create the change template I would all the above with the following order:
1. Create "wo1", "wo2", "wo3" and "wo4" templates.
2. Create "TO:wo1" and "TO:wo2" predecessor template and link them to wo1 and wo2 respectively
3. Create the change template and link "wo3" and "wo4" workorder templates.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

3. No work orders at all!

This also can be done without work orders. It needs two statuses (or one), like "To be approved" and "Solution pending for Approval".

1st rule, when status is "To Be approved" through a ui rule set current person as "Initiator". This way, an apporval can be started. Have the person fill the required approval fields (like description, strategy, deadline etc).

If passes the approval then continue working as usual. When finish the work and set status to "Solution pending for Approval" or "To be approved" (if you want only one service call status indicating approval) then through a ui rule set current person to be the initiator, thus starting a new approval cycle. This person must fill all the appropriate approval fields and start the approval.
menes fhtagn
Dwyane Everts_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

George,

All very good ideas, and avenues that I've investigated. But the problem with these solutions is that the "Helpdesk" (initiator of the original SC) is not always provided enough information to make a determination whether the caller is looking for info or a change. So, the initial template will be generic, or could be wrong (we all make mistakes).

My hope was...once the developers review the SC, they could determine the correct classification (RFC or RFI) and the generation of workorders or changes would be auto-magic.

Dwyane
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Dwayne,

In that case you can use "Change". The Help Desk will create the ticket and then assignee has enough information then he can create a change with three work orders.

Or you can use the third approach, no work order at all.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Dwayne,

You could (though I am not convinced it is a good idea as I agree with George's points) use sd_event to do this. With sd_event you point it at an import mapping which has a template to set up the WOs.

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Dwyane Everts_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

George and Ruth,

Sorry for the late response. I took your ideas to the management for review and approval of a choice. All the ideas were great, so I awarded 10 points for each entry.

George, since you are a new Pharoah (CONGRATS!) I gave you extra points to help you catch up to Ruth. :)

Thanks for all the help...
Dwyane