We have a Service Call UI which is triggered when the value in Subcontract call from Service call is changed. In other words, when a subcontract call is created.
The rule sets a dozen fields, amongst which the classification, which is set to a fixed value.
Needless to say, everything works except the classification update. Here is what I can see: 1) according to the client log, the classification is correctly updated. 2) I made the classification an audited field; there is no update in the history lines. 3) There is no value set for classification in the default SC template 4) The update fails whether I update classification as a separate action, or whether it is updated in the same action as all the other field updates.
Also, I note that the UI rule is triggered BEFORE the values are applied from the default template. I would be delighted to find a way to apply the template values first, then run the UI rule afterwards.
Finally, according to the client log, the UI rule gets triggered twice. I put an audit on the triggering field and it is only updated once according to the history lines.
The only thing that I can think of is that either the update is being prevented from completing either because there is a mandatory field requirement, or another rule somewhere, that is impacting it. Can you try it with all mandatory fields & other rules disabled temporarily to eliminate these as potential causes?
I recall a similar issue I had some time ago. I concluded that for whatever reason, the Actions in a rule did not execute in the order that they were listed. Not sure whether I opened an Incident with HP for it or not, but my workaround was to create two separate rules (named part a & part b).
Try to create a totally separate rule to set the Classification, after the rule that sets everything else, based on one of the other fields you set by the first rule. This should work as you can set it manually.
Next, re-create the rule (blocking the original one(s), ensuring you enter the actions in the order you want them executed. If this doesn't work, you'll be stuck with two rules for what you want to accomplish.
it is worth blocking the rule and creating a new one with the exact same conditions etc. Had a few instances where a rule misbahaved and the only solution found was to block and create a new one with the same criteria - and the new one worked (old one didn't for some reason)!!