Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

UI DB update rules for Entered by broke.

Highlighted
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

UI DB update rules for Entered by broke.

Hello everyone, I need some help on a strange issue. I have attached a screen shot and rules that are being used on my system. In the screen shot I have a custom modifiable field called "Entered By". (We don't use "Entered by Person" as it is not modifiable.)

In turn that information is written out to the diary as a time stamp with the present users name followed by "stuff" from the information or Solution windows.

Up till recently the rules ran fine then everthing just "Broke" to updates to "Entered By" or entries in the diary.

I have managed to re-build all the rules as no amount of playing with the old rules worked. I have managed to get everything working EXCEPT the update to the "Entered By" field. It always remains set to the origional call taker. Which in turn means the stamps to the Diary also have the origional owners name.

BTW when you look at the DB rules you will note that the second rule (DO NOT UN- BLOCK UPdate Entered by Person name) is closed is because if it is left on it does update the "Entered By" field but with user,system... not good.

Thanks to you all in advance,
Guy
20 REPLIES
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: UI DB update rules for Entered by broke.

Hi Guy,

I saw your situation but can't understand it properly. I didn't understand what you mean when you say "Broke" to updates to Entered by. or entries in the diary.

Your rules seem all right. Hence I still think I need to understand what went wrong before I can suggest anything.

Need more information...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Guy,

A small thing I noticed.

Your first rule in the attached file "database rules" is blocked.

The third rule, says "where Entered By (*) is empty" which means someone has to clear the Entered By field and save the ticket field for this rule to get triggered.

This may be the reason why your tickets are not getting updated.

Hope this solves your concern...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply.

What I meant is that before this problem (broke) the "Entered By" field would update with the new data enters name. Then when you save if there is data in information field it would append that to the diary. Further if status would change to closed data in the solution field would be appended . Time stamps are appeneded in all cases.

However when the "problem" occurred nothing worked as outlined above. REALLY BROKE :-)

I had to block the clear entered by field because with it operational we were back to the entered by field never getting any name in it (blank) or getting user,system. Plus the data from info and solution would not append to the label correctly causing in some cases truncation of the bulk of the data. I agree that there should be no relationship............but.....

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Oh I forgot to mention. The UI and DB rules (attached) are the results of about 12 hours of fixing and testing. The Blocking of the Clear name field rule was just to get these rules to sort of work.

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi guy,

not too sure why the rules are not working but rather than using the "Entered By" field set up you can instead use a concatenation in the DB rule (update Data) for the running diary to add a functon of "Current PersoN" which will do the same as your set up with less rules.

You would have to rebuild the rule to add in the addition concatenations to add the current person.
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Mark.
I have tried that (during the troubleshooting) and the results were pretty much the same. Current person would alway come up user,system in the diary time stamp. BTW I pretty much did the "rubic's cube" thing, trying to get variations of rules to work. The UI and DB rules you see now are the only ones that came "close" to total functionality.

This one is a real bear. Thanks for trying though.

g

BTW does anyone know if there is a way to edit the rules directly? Using the tools is an excersise in frustration at best. I forgot to mention I am using 4.5 sp 10.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Guy,
do you relate the log on accounts to person records?
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

If I am understanding you question correctly yes. Each consultant has a log-on ACCOUNT (Security) which is associated with that persons record through the Account field in the Person record (SD Person).

g
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Guy,

First things first:

Saurabh is quite right when he wrote

<< "where Entered By (*) is empty" means someone has to clear the Entered By field and save the ticket field for this rule to get triggered. >>

You must uncheck "When this field has changed" on the db rule.

UI rules and DB rules have a major difference concerning "When service call is modified" trigger. UI rules expect a *specific* field to be changed while DB rules don't.

Therefore actualy there are two triggers for a db rule when an item is changed. The first is to check if a *specific* field has changed ( this puts the (*) in db rule condition) and then act accordingly. The second is that you can update one or more fields when *ANY* field is changed on this item.

Second

Go to Databases Rules\Service call and change the view to "Database Rule (System". There make sure that the rule named "SET ENTERED BY PERSON" is above the rule named "UPDATE DIARY FROM SOLUTION-FINAL SOLUTION". If it is not, there lies the problem and you have to rearange the rules by pressing the up/down arrow buttons, on the right of the view name.

If yes, then temporarily block all db/ui rules that update the "Entered By" field and create a debug rule like this:

When service call is created or modified
where Entered By ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
Entered By set to (Current person)

Create or modify a service call and change the "Entered by" value to ABCDEFGHIJKLMN. Wait a minute or two to make sure that the rule is fired and open the service call and check the value of "Entered by". Chances are that the "Entered by" will have the right value. If not the problem lies somewhere else and we have to investigate further.
menes fhtagn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Hi George
What you stated (thanks for all the detail by the way) I tried during testing. If you look at my first request there is an attachment that shows the rules. But as they are now not when it first broke.

While testing and fixing I am almost 100% positive that I did what you suggest as far as order etc. and still got the same result(s) or worse.

I have rules turned on and off only to get SD somewhat working (minimal manual input/fixing on the users part). Logically I understand what your suggesting. But as stated before it didn't work "as advertised". :-)

Could you look at the rules in the attachement and make a recommendation as to what (except for the make empty rule which is blocked so we can limp along...I understand it is "hopefully" eventually needed. But when I tried unblocking it and the problem would come up again.

To you and all others thanks!!!! g
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Guy,

I am going to go back and analyze why the rule as you said is not working.

The point I had mentioned; I still think it's correct. I guess there must be another rule either conflicting with it, or we may be able to imply the same using some other rule.

<< "where Entered By (*) is empty" means someone has to clear the Entered By field and save the ticket field for this rule to get triggered. >>

1. This means that you need to put a rule, preferably a UI rule, that cleans up the "Entered by" field when the ticket is opened.

2. The other way of doing something similar will be to use the same rule with a little difference -
<< "where Entered By (*) is anything" >>

This will reduce your issues and trigger the rule the way you want it.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Saurabh
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Guy,

Please block the rules:

SET ENTERED BY PERSON (DB RULE)
"Update Entered By Person Name to Entered by Name" (UI RULE)

Create a db rule like this:

When service call is created or modified
where where Source ID (*) is (exactly) ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
Entered By set to (Current person)

Then open a service call, set source id to ABCDEFGHIJKLMN, wait two minutes, open it, see what is the value.

Chances are that Entered By will be correct. If not, we will investigage further.

But, *please* do the above steps, it will help us to pinpoint your problem.
menes fhtagn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Will do. But just so I am clear. By Source ID you mean, phone, email etc.?
Also I would assume that this rule should be the first one in the list of rules?

Thx G
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Guy,

Did you try to change the rule as I had suggested?? Any output?

Regards,

Saurabh
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Not yet. I work in a Computer support center and have to answer problem calls on Hospital servers. So my time is not my own.

SD is my other full time job. ;-)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Guy,

On each entity there is defined a field named "Source ID". It's main use is as primary key for data exchange. The rule checks for change of "Source ID" of service call, there you must make the change.
menes fhtagn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the info. I plan to work on it after hours today. I'll let you know what the results is ASAP.
g
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Hi George, In concept I understand what you want me to do and why you want me to do it. However I still don't know what you mean by the source ID. I see no such field available when trying to build the rule you suggested. (See attachment). Since the ID should be unique that would be the Service Desk Call Id?????? And if so that is an un-modifiable field. Should I create that test call first and use the assigned number for the DB rule you suggested.

Sorry ... g
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Guy,

Source id is a 80char text field that mainly is used for data exchange between service desk and another source. In service calls created by hand normaly should be empty. As I see from your screenshot probably you 've renamed source id to "source", but is the same thing.

You could alter the rule I 've send and instead of source id use any text field, built-in or custom.
menes fhtagn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the clarification. I will work on it after hours tonight. Will email you back with the results. Cross you fingers.

g