SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

UI/DB Rule - how to find out which user is modifying a record

Hello,

I have Openview 5.1 SP6.

A quick one I hope that I hope someone can let me know the answer to.

How do I find out by UI/DB rule when saving a record which user is saving the record?

At the moment the system ticks a checkbox if a memo field is updated but I only want to the system to tick this box automatically if its not me modifying the field.

(this is so I can keep track of other peoples comments in this box and not my own - I have a view which says "Show me all record with a tick in the box" - then I would go into the record, look at the other peoples comments, then untick the box which would then remove it from the view). - The problem is, until I can tell the system not to tick the box if it is me updating the memo field, then the records I have updated the memo field will appear in my view - which is pointless because I updated the memo field and know already what it says :)

This would save me a lot of time because at the moment I have to open the record, update the memo field, save and close the record, then open the record back up and untick the box which was automatically ticked previously because I updated the memo field.

Hope the above makes sense!

Many thanks,

Steve.
4 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: UI/DB Rule - how to find out which user is modifying a record

Steve,

Along with the checkbox, you could add a Person entity reference custom field.
The rule that ticks the checkbox could also update this custom Person field and set it to the current Person when the update is made.

Then, you can modify your view to include the custom Person field as one of the columns and even filter it if the Person is not you.

Hope this helps.
Do not forget to assign points to this contribution. Here's how:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

The Pike
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

Thank you The Pike :)

Do you know which field I need to add into the person field?

When in the UI editor, which field do I select which will tell me the user name / person which is editing the record?

Thank you.

Steve.
The Pike
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the rule editor, use a Function. If I remember correctly, there should be 2 options: "Make empty" and "Current person".

Do not forget to assign points (to both replies)!

The Pike
Stephen Wood fr
Super Collector

Thats brill! Many thanks, it works great!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event