Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Tip : The use of E-Mail to Update Service Calls in 4.5

Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Tip : The use of E-Mail to Update Service Calls in 4.5

With the help of HP Support, (thanks Karina), I was recently able to use the feature of e-mail updates to Service Calls.

Initially I was unable to do so because the manual is incorrect, so I thought I would share the knowledge.

The manual explains how plain text email can be received by HPOV and used to retrieve information and update fields on the Service Call form. The sender of the email must have a person record which matches the email address and name.

If the email has the word List in the subject line then HPOV will respond with an email which lists all open service calls either assigned to or raised by the sender.

If the email has the View in the subject line then HPOV will respond with an email listing the fields and values of the specified service call ID. The fields and values can be controlled by the use of the template held in Admin Console > System Panel > E Mail > E-Mail Templates.

The word Update followed by the ID of he service call in the subject line of the email, will allow updating of the service call. The fields to be updated and the values to be inserted are specified in the body of the email. The format being:

Information = This is the text to be updated to the information field.

No quotes or anything else is required.

Everything I have said so far can be gleaned from the section about email updates in the Service Desk Administrators Guide (July 2002).

There’s a bit of vital information which is in the manual somewhere apparently but not in the section about email updates, don’t know why?

The bit about default settings, characters accepted by HPOV as delimiters within SMTP messages. In the example above of the UPDATE I used = to separate the field name and the value of the field. That’s fine, = is one of the defaults. But so is :

What this means is that if somewhere else in the body of the email there is a : then HPOV will attempt to use the text before it as a field name and the text after it as a value for that field and will, in all probability, the UPDATE will fail. If one part fails the whole thing fails.

So if as in my case the email contains a signature and an automatically appended disclaimer, (so many email systems do these days), then you may well find a : or a = somewhere else. To get around this you must change the delimiters used by HPOV. This is done within the Server Setting Editor, on the HPOV Application Server, under the SMTP tab. Replace the word default with the character(s) you wish to use.

Yes that’s fine, I hear you say, but why not use the BEGIN and END tags as it says in the manual on page 247?

Because using the word BEGIN before the section of text and the word END after the section of text will ensure that HPOV only uses that section of text when applying the update, Wrong!

So once you have the delimiters on the App. Server sorted you will then find that updating a field like Information will result in the entire body of the email being copied to the Information field, signature and disclaimer, not ideal.

This is where the manual is flawed. The actual tags for marking the text to be used for update are:

*BEGIN

*END

But that’s not what the manual says, maybe they will send and email out to update the manual, LOL.

Hope you find the feature useful, it means you don’t have to be at a PC with the HPOV client installed to get info from and pass info to HPOV!
3 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Tip : The use of E-Mail to Update Service Calls in 4.5

Good tip Peter - added to my favourites.

Thanks, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Dean Morrell
Honored Contributor.

Peter -

Thanks for sharing. Gotta love that openview documentation. =)

-d
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
Bhuvnesh
Honored Contributor.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for sharing a very helpful tip.