The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Zone confusion

Highlighted
Dean Morrell
Frequent Visitor

Time Zone confusion

I'm using sd4.5, sp13.

I have the regional settings set to MST (UTC - 7). When I create a service call and save it, I verify that the time and date in the register-created field is correct. It successfully converts this time to UTC and saves it in ITSM_SERVICECALLS, and assigns it an ID #. No problems yet.

The problem: when I look at the service call again, either in the table view, or by opening the form back up, all of the date/time fields (including reg_created) show up incorrectly (UTC - 26 -- 26 hours earlier than the database values...)

I've verified that my Person record and Login accounts are both set to MST (UTC - 7). I've looked in the log, and the timestamps there are accurate. I've verified that no DB or UI rules are firing off which would affect this.
I've verified that the OS on the server knows that it's in MST.

I have tried to recreate this on another SD 4.5 SP13 instance, but with no success. Everything there works just as I would expect it to. I suspect this is a setting somebody (possibly myself) has set incorrectly, not realizing its impact, and totally forgotten about.

Anyone have any suggestions on where else I can look?

Thanks,
-Dean

ps- I give points! =)
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
8 REPLIES
Rob Jans
Super Collector

Re: Time Zone confusion

Hi Dean,

We had a similar issue.. Don't know exactly anymore..
What we found is that there was an issue with the timezone setting of the client versus the timezonesetting of the phisical server.

We have 3 servers (Load balanced) in the Netherlands.
On one of the servers the timezone was incorrect. This made it that when we where logged on to this server (where ever in the world), the times where calculated wrong.

When logged to one of the other servers, this was no issue.

Hope it helps..
Next to this, we encounter this issue also because we where on SP9. timecalculations where fixed in a later servicepack, but I do not know if it was before SP13. There is a hotfix available for this.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
JaS_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Dean,

Have you tried deleting the cache on your client ? Sounds like a corrupted cache if you could not reproduce it on another machine.
Even if the settings is wrong, I expect the time offset to 7 hours and not 26 hours.
Dean Morrell
Frequent Visitor

This has gotten a little clearer, but even stranger...

All of the times which are later than April 2, 2006 are showing up in the client as being between 18:00 and 18:59. It appears to be showing the date and minute information correctly, but the hours are always showing as 18.

All of the times between Oct 30, 2005 and April 2 2006 show up as being between 17:00 and 17:59.

Okay, maybe in a strange way, this is making sense now-- i'm MST, which is UTC-7, right? midnight - 7:00 is 17:00. Starting on April 2, with daylight savings time, I'm in UTC-6. midnight - 6 is 18:00.

But why is it reading every hour in the database as being midnight? When I look at the times directly in the database, they're in various hours-- the ones that I've been able to check are correct UTC.

Rob - I've checked the time zone settings on the server everywhere I can think of to look at them, they're correct... *shrug* I think the known issue that you mention was resolved in SP10 or 11, I remember reading something about it while researching this problem.

jason - How do I clear the cache on the client? Is this something I can do with the java client, or is this just clearing the browser cache for Service Pages? (it shows up wrong in both, but I'm primarily using the java client.)
I know the voices in my head aren't real, but they still have some REALLY FUN ideas.
Dean Morrell
Frequent Visitor

A few other details that may help:
I have imported about 115 location codes using the data exchanger about a week and a half ago. I got the first complaint of someone noticing the time fields being weird about a week ago. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between the two, I'm just presenting it out of desperation, hoping to spark some ideas. =)

Another interesting thing-- it's not just limited to the time fields in the SC view. In the admin console -> security -> audit -> logged on users, all the values under the "created" column are showing up as MM/DD/YY 18:MI

Just tried doing something to add an audit trail entry in a service call -- i changed the priority. The audit field reflected this change with the correct timestamp. I closed and reopened the service call, and the timestamps are all set to 18:...

*shakes head slowly*
JaS_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Dean,

Don't worry about the purging cache for now. From what you are saying, you have your time format defined incorrectly. I am not sure whether you have defined it incorrectly for a SD account or at the OS regional level.

For the SD account, check the time format of the application account, look at the time format and see whether someone used 18 instead of hh (normal hour am/pm) or HH (military time eg 13:00) and mm for the minutes. Use the SD online help, type "format" and choose "time", if you want to know which character represents which time format. 18 is incorrect and will be treated as a fixed string.

There is also a possibility that the incorrect time format was incorrectly set in the OS. Check the OS control panel but I am pretty sure its your SD account and not the OS. I couldn't find time format for all users in the admin console so it must be at user level and user specific.
Dean Morrell
Frequent Visitor

Firstly, Jason - Thank you for the followup. Those are good ideas. I hadn't thought about the time format forcing the hour to show up as 18..

HOWEVER, the problem is solved, but not really explained. We recycled the server that the app server was running on, it came back up, and everything was back to normal.

I discussed this with my boss, who has worked with SD for a long time. He explained that even though the SD app server is very robust, it will still start to get "weird" every 3 or 4 months. We think this is what happened here.

I guess the preventative step (and one that makes sense anyway) is to recycle the app server periodically.

Thanks for your responses, folks! I'm sure you haven't heard the last of me...

-d
Dean Morrell
Frequent Visitor

Recycle the server (or at least, the app server)
Rahul Kumar Gup
Frequent Visitor

Hi Dean,

Please let me know recycle the app server means to reinstall the whole application.

I am facing same prob while creating the incidents. Every time it shows PST in emails for planned start.

WE are using sd 5.1 with sp6.

Regds,
Rahul
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event