The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Pool and DB Pool Sizing - SD4.5 SP20 + PDF Gift!

Highlighted
Carlos Thompson
Regular Collector

Thread Pool and DB Pool Sizing - SD4.5 SP20 + PDF Gift!

The 28 point Guru needs some advise:

I have 2 DL380 servers, both running 2 SD4.5 SP20 server instances, for a total of _4_ SD4.5 SP20 Instances. CPU and RAM are optimal for the chassis and the WinOS. We have almost 200 concurrent users on a global network. DB is Oracle 9i on a HP 7420 big boy HP-UX cluster running HP Service Guard.

Facts:
-CPU Utilization App Servers is always very low, we're talking less than 5% load even at peak usage on the Windows SD App Servers.
-We are getting slow respones from SD clients.

Current XML Settings for all 4 respective instances:
Threadpool Size: 10
SERVICE Datastore Pool Sizing: 6min, 16max
SERVICEREPO Datastore Pool Sizing: 3min, 6max

****What should I increase???****

Please see the gift link below, which is the PDF of the SD4.5 Performance Tuning Session from the June 2006 OV Forum in Miami I attended. (Pepperweed had the best party ;)

Questions:
1)
According to Page 8 of the PDF, since my CPU Util. is really low, I should be pushing up my Thread Pool Size, correct?
**How high can this Thread Pool count go?**
I found a thread that said that some guy had one server set at 10 and another server set at 100???
**WHAT IS YOUR THREAD POOL SIZING AND # OF USER LICENSES?**

2)
How is my DB pool sizing? Again I am luckily using a very big and beefy Oracle cluster, so I want to **max** out my DB pool sizing. It looks to me I should at least increase the SERVICEREPO settings to match the SERVICE settings.
**what are the max settings here?**

According to Page 9 of the PDF combined with my current settings, it looks like I should do:
SERVICE Datastore Pool Sizing: 12min, 16max
SERVICEREPO Datastore Pool Sizing: 12min, 16max
Thoughts? Criticisms? Advice?

**WHAT IS YOUR DB POOL SIZINGS?**

Here is the link to the PDF Gift, it was too big to attached..1MB? helllo HP!

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/45rrxkd365849/Session_181_HPOpenViewConfMiami_June2006.pdf.html (the download file link is middle-left of page, free is free....)

Thanks in advance to all who post in this thread. Everyone will get 10 points who gives an intelligent answer.

-Carlos
2 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Thread Pool and DB Pool Sizing - SD4.5 SP20 + PDF Gift!

Hi Carlos,

I sent you some details in addition to what you already have. it might help.
Gurevich

Re: Thread Pool and DB Pool Sizing - SD4.5 SP20 + PDF Gift!

Can you share this document?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event