Did you mean: 

The structure of the database is broken. Please verify the database before use

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Kumar Dilip

The structure of the database is broken. Please verify the database before use

Hi all,

I have this problem in OVSD offlate in the OVSD 4.5 (Java version used is 1.3.1) server when I did the DB maintenance check through command sd_dbconfwizard.bat -internal.

Is this because of the old version of Java?

Kindly let me know the fix for this

Thanks in advance
17 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: The structure of the database is broken. Please verify the database before use

I do not believe that to be related to the version of Java. Which Service Pack are you running? Did you upgrade lately?

The Pike
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Re: The structure of the database is broken. Please verify the database before use

This message can mean any deviation from expected state (expected by SD server): any new/changed table in the schema, any new/changed attribute, etc. There should be log explaining what exactly is wrong...
Kumar Dilip

SD server WIN 2k3, SP2. The alerts from OVOW is not getting forwarded to SD, and the DB check is giving this error. Any suggestions?
Java Version is still the same as mentioned above
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

DB check should also show you (in a log probably) what seems to be wrong. Post that and maye we'll be able to help.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

I agree with Radovan, plus, my previous question was not about your Windows Server service pack level, but your Service Desk application server service pack.
Same for upgrade... not asking about Java upgrade but Service Desk upgrade.

The Pike
Kumar Dilip

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind replies.
I am attaching the log files. Kindly check and suggest me something.

Thanks in advance
Kumar
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Well, there it is loud and clear:

Mon, 25/01/2010 11:57:09 table:ASSET_EMP_CHANGE is not defined in the object model !

You (or someone) probably created ASSET_EMP_CHANGE table in SD schema. That's a no-go! If you need to create some table (with references to SD tables) you need to create it in separate schema (and grant permission appropriately).
Kumar Dilip

Hi,

Woow, this is so informative. Thanks for the prompt reply. But does the error say so many things? I shall inquire who created the schema, and what permission is granted to it. If the person says that he has not created any table, then what can be the issue?
The error says, table:ASSET_EMP_CHANGE is not defined in the object model. what this mean? and what is required to fix it?

Thanks
Kumar Dilip

Hi,
I inquired, and I found that this particular table name is not created in SD by anyone (Infact I got to know that there are no changes in SD server). In that case, how can an error be thrown like this?
Kindly reply
The Pike
Honored Contributor

I can't see how that raises a question. If it is evident that the table is not part of the standard object model because it does not match the application's naming convention and the DB structure check complains about it, then you are left with two options:

1. Do not believe whoever said nobody created the table and there have been no changes. We IT professionals know better than to trust statements such as "We didn't do it" or "No changes have been made".

2. Assume the table was created by a process or tool, which is unlikely and then again SOMEONE did ultimately start such process or tool.

Have your DBA look at what content is stored in the table and you might have an idea who would need such information. Your DBA could also determine which database user created the table and when.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Or put it another way - there are 2 possible options on how this happened:

a) either someone or something created it but does not acknowledge it

b) SD created it itself but there is an error in meta-layer that guards DB structure

In my opinion a) is 99% right - b) has never happened to me... I have never heard or seen table named as the one in question...
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

One more advise: if nobody created the table, do a backup of the database, delete the table. SD will (probably) function without problems and that nobody will come complaining his/her table got lost :-)
Kumar Dilip

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the replies.
You are right. Instead of accepting that no one has created something in Db or not, isnt it better to chk in the db for its creation? But where will I get this info?

For the backup, should I take SD backup aswell other than SQL backup OR just SQL backup?
The Pike
Honored Contributor

It'd be cool if you assigned some points if our posts have been helpful to you. Each reply equals time and effort taken to assist you.

I'm not a DBA but have worked with DBAs who are as paranoid as I am and they log and audit just about everything via ddl triggers.

The Pike
Kumar Dilip

I would like to highlight one more thing here. The logs says that, the OS is WIN 2000, instead its WIN 2003. and for OVSD of SP23 isnt java 1.3 low? Why does the OS show wrongly?

Also, the logserver.txt mentions the OS correctly as WIN2003. the JAVA HOME says D:\j2sdk1.4.2_17 and I have attached the Java path as jpg. Hope these also matters a lot.

Thanks in advance
Kumar
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Try changing the java reference in the sd_dbconfwizard batch file, change the call to java for the full patch of java 1.4 exe, that way you will force it to use java1.4 instead of default java1.3 (too old for SP23).

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am 99% sure Java version has nothing to do with that database error.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event