The difference between Classification & Category

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
marwa5_1
Super Contributor.

The difference between Classification & Category

Hi,
Please need someone to clarify what is the difference between Incident/Problem Category & Classification fields as both used as hierachical structure to classify the problem or the incident but I don't know the difference.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: The difference between Classification & Category

I extracted the following from the "What's this?" info.

The category groups problems in a hierarchical structure. In this structure problems are grouped based on type of problem.

Classification reflects an assessment of the problem after closing the problem.

All in all, it depends on how you want to interpret the nature of the Incident/Problem. Perhaps you could use the Category field to identify and group the type of event when created and while being worked on and Classification to identify and group once the cause has been determined.

Like I said, it depends on your interpretation of the fields and even ITIL definitions are somewhat loose in this aspect.

Points are welcome.

The Pike
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Assuming you mean OVSD and not SM7, there is also a big functional difference. When activating custom fields, you activate them just for certain Categories, but can't do this based on Classification. So you make fields read only or updateable based on Category (and Role of course).
I usually use Category for the broad type of Service Call or Problem or Incident, (eg Request for Service vs Fault for Service Calls), and Classification more for underlying cause, or more info about the call or Incident....eg "Data Issue", "Application Configuration Issue" etc.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

We use Category for categorizing SC's according to their nature(eg Incident, RFC, RFI etc) and Classification for categorizing SC's according to their underlying cause (Eg, Activation Failure, Printer out of toner etc)
menes fhtagn