Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Text messages to mobiles via Email using Opening Hours

Highlighted
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Text messages to mobiles via Email using Opening Hours

Service Desk 4.5 SP11. I have created a custom e-mail pager field for Person records. My issue is I have created a rule that each person with the pager field gets paged when a Service Call is assigned to them. However they do not want to get paged after hours. It was easy to create the strait page to the assign to person of the e-mail pager field is not empty... I am just unsure how to create a DB rule to include / or exclude Opening hours? Not sure if this is two rules or one, or if the action is a Command Exec. Action that I have no experiance with. Please give instructions if you are able to recreate this same situation.
4 REPLIES
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Re: Text messages to mobiles via Email using Opening Hours

Does anyone know????
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Carrie,

the only sure fire way I have seen this done is by using a 3rd party notification tool like Alarm Point or Telalert (there are others) and specifing the opening hours /support hours of the teams in there and using OVSD to send an an sd_event triggered from a DB rule.

I dont think you can get a fully functioning alarming system from OVSD alone using just rules.

webAPI development may help but that would require coding (perhaps lots of).
Carrie L Ellswo
Super Contributor.

Thanks Mark, That's really what I needed to know... More if it could be done.. And how much it would take...
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Carrie,

no problem. If this was helpful points would be appreciated. I can see a camel in the distance but have far to go.

Anyway, webAPI is an option if you have a developer though as requirements change you may find it difficult to keep up with modifications to meet the requirements.

The 3rd party tools mentioned are good and once set up work well. Maybe contact the companies and see whats involved cost wise as they do excatly what yiu want.