Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing DR

Highlighted
bhatta
Super Collector

Testing DR

Hi all,

In our environment, we are having 2 SD application servers(windows) connected to a DB(solaris). Also one more standby DB(solaris) is present. How I can test the standby database by connecting the two application servers to it, so that in case of any event to existing database occurs.

Any pre-requesites are required. please let me know

Thanks in advance for your inputs.........

Best Regards
bhatta
9 REPLIES
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Re: Testing DR

Hi Bhatta

There is a very easy way to test this, but first you need to make sure that both the DB's are the same version.
Is one DB mirrored across to the other? so what I mean is are they always identical in terms of the data that is in them?

to switch your application servers to connect to a different DB you need to be on the application server, open the server settings editor for SD, go to the database accounts tab, here you can add another entry for a database connection. Be sure to make your new connection the "default" one and then stop and start the application service.

Hope this helps

Jay
Ananth Ram
Super Collector

Hi Bhatta,
Just get into server setting editor menu. Add one more database details thr. Give the database as default. stop and start the application server.

Ram
bhatta
Super Collector

Hi Jay,

Is there any way so that there won't be any service affecting, by connecting one application server to primary database & second application server to standby database & avoiding any client connection to second application server.

Is it possible? suggest if you have any ideas.

Thanks & Regards
bhatta
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Hi Bhatta

Yes it is possible to do that.

app server 1 connects to DB1
app server 2 connects to DB2

This way like you want no client connections are affected.

when you alter the server settings editor for the 2nd app server, there is an option under the general tab, the option is "accept console clients" if you dont want anybody to connect to app server 2 then you need to uncheck this option. Also you may want to uncheck "join multiple servers"

hope this helps

Jay
bhatta
Super Collector

Hi Jay,

wht u r telling is exactly correct, but if I uncheck accept any client connection, whether I will be able to test the DR via second application server.

Only I must be able to connect to secondary database(for service call testing, change,....) & no other user should be able to connect to secondary DB.

Is this possible?

waiting for your reply....

Thanks & Regards
bhatta
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Ah I see your problem.

Have you applied DNS to your servers?
If so then change the DNS on the 2nd app server, therefore nobody will know the name of the server to connect to it, only you will know this so you can connect, perform your tests then revert the DNS name back to its original one.

A small inconvenience but I think thats the only way to prevent other clients from connecting to your 2nd app server.

Jay
bhatta
Super Collector

Hi Jay,

Thanks for information, but we don't have DNS in our environment. Name resolution is done by host file. In this case how I can test.

Thanks & Regards
bhatta
bhatta
Super Collector

Hi Jay,

One more information i require regarding testing,

1. Whether I need to provide standby DB IP address in the app2 server & make it as default.

2. After removing join multiple connections & unchecking accept client connections whether any user can able to connect to the standby database other than me.

Waiting for ur reply at the earliest.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
bhatta
Super Collector

Hi Jay,

Thanks a lot for ur kind support....

Best Regards
bhatta
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event