cancel

Templates and ACES

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Cy Wong
Trusted Contributor.

Templates and ACES

It seems that a user needs to have Template "New" access rights, even if he is only modifying existing templates. (He gets "You are not authorized to save the template in this folder")

We have dev, test and prod environments. If we allow our users to create new templates in Prod environment only, will the OIDs be out-of-sync between dev/test/prod environments? Will this affect ACES of other items in the future?
9 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Templates and ACES

Hello Cyrus,

Generally OIDS in different environments are out of order for newly created items as long as the system is started. This doesn't affect ACES import/export.

The OIDS you see in ACES xml files are NOT the OIDS of the items that are exported, instead there are the oids of the TYPE of the item that is exported and these are the same in any environment.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

... and this is the reason why ACES export/import should be avoided between servers of different SP level. However since featurewise, OVSD 4.5 is frozen on SP20, i guess it is safe to use ACES import/export from/to servers of version >= 4.5SP20
menes fhtagn
Cy Wong
Trusted Contributor.

Thank George for the prompt reply! (more points for you)

So OID in the xml files does not uniquely identify an item (e.g. a particular DB rule)? Then how do ACES know which item to update if I have overwrite option enabled in ACES import?

Does that mean that if the user create new templates in Prod, I can still do ACES to import other new/update items (e.g. DB Rules) from Test to Prod without any conflict of OID?

Thanks again for your explanation.
Cy Wong
Trusted Contributor.

I may be misinformed, somehow I've read that if you create an item (e.g. DB Rule) in Test, then manually create the exact same item in Prod, ACES won't work if I want to export the item from Test into Prod?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Cyrus,

To my understanding Object-IDS in ACES XML files are used for differentiating between items during the import, however they are not used "as is" in the new system. Otherwise that could lead to serious trouble. Object-IDs tend to be different from system to system and during the import a new OID should be used or there could be a situation (no matter how slim the possibility) of OID collision.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Cyrus,

There is a document from HP where they specifically state that:

"The Development, Test and Production database must be the same when starting to manage the
environment with ACES. They can not be different in any way. It is important to take the production
database and back it up and then restore it to the Development and Test environements. At this point
changes can be made on the Development system and moved to the changes to TEST and then
Production. It is good practice to refresh the Development and Test databases with the implemented
production database to ensure that all environments are in sync."

I will attach the file.

Having said that, we (fox) generally advise that new Templates should not be added on the fly in prod environments. We recommedn that there should be a process of how to request such a template (preferably via Change Mgt) so that they are always added via the dev system and ACED to the prod.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Cy Wong
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry to beat this to death ... but I seem to be hearing 2 opposite logic.

On one hand, OID does not matter, so ACES will still work if environments are out-of-sync. (from George)

On the other hand, the document (from Ruth) say the environments has to completely the same for ACES to work.

So will ACES work or not? *confused*
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello Cyrus,

Actually i was wrong. I conducted a small test (I created a template at my test environment and imported to the production environment). The TEM_OID was the same.

Our test environment and product environment are frequently out of sync, especially during development of new products. But I had never a failed import from test to dev, as long as I took three precautions:

1. The values (for attributes of entity reference type) on the source system must also exist in the target system.
2. The category of the template in the source system must exist in the target system.
3. The folder of the template in the source system must also exist in the target system.

And there is always a fourth precaution, especially for templates:

4. Attributes that have values in the template must exist in both systems.

I never checked the OID of the imported template since I was 100% certain that the imported OID will be different. While this is not the case, I stand by my position: Using the same oids is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

However keeping the same oids has a great plus, especially for VIEWS that are used to limit values in WEB-APIS, you don't have to change the view oid (thus the code) from test system to dev system.
menes fhtagn
Cy Wong
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the clarification!