Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

TIP: Display Relations in an "Overview" manner

Highlighted
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

TIP: Display Relations in an "Overview" manner

Hello,

Normally this belongs to "Creating relations through sd_dataform.bat" but since this thread is already big and since this tip's purpose is just to display relations in an overview manner and not to create new ones, it goes to a new thread.

Well, create an smart action named "Items related to this Service call", use as application the "sd_dataform" and as action

"Service Event Relation" +"Service Call.ID=[ID]" -ListAlways

Now highlight or open a service call. If even one item is related to this service call, the relation will be listed!

However there is more! Much more!

For example launch a dataform like this:

sd_dataform "Service Event Relation" +"Service Call.ID!=0" -ListAlways. This will list all relations to/from a service call. And the good part is that you can Customize that view. And the better part is that you can Export this view! Right click on the view and from the "Report Style" select anything but "Standard". Right click again, press "Publish". Then you can either export to an html file or just select all, copy and paste it to Excel or Word.

Have in mind that the view is customizable! You can either customize it by right clicking on the header or if you want this permanently, go to "Presentation/Views/Service Event Relation"

You can use the same trick for:

CI Component, CI Relation, CI On workorder, CI on Service, Workgroup member... use your imagination.

To find what field you should use as filter, just go to Presentation/Form/, open the form and view the field labels!

For example for CI Relation

sd_dataform "CI Relation" +"CI From.Searchcode=" -ListAlways

As I said these views are customizable and can be exported!

Overview actions didn't give us any option to display relations but who care? We have sd_dataform :)

menes fhtagn
14 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TIP: Display Relations in an "Overview" manner

The best use I have found so far with this is to have an overview of the CI Relations. For example we have defined the CI Relation Type "Depends on" with ordering 30

To quick view ALL dependencies between CIs just run the command:

sd_dataform "CI Relation" +"CI Relation Type.Ordering=30" -ListAlways
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

George,

Great tip - I have more of your postings as favourites than anyone else - award your self 100 points!

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark Teichmann
Super Contributor.

perfect tip!
These tips should be available in the online help of Service Desk...
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, it's even better that than presenting!

You can even use the "update all" functionality! I tried on the test server, selected some relations that was "caused by" and converted them using update all to "solved by".

However this works on SP22 and higher because on SP20,21 there is a bug that the reverse relation is not set.
menes fhtagn
Envoy2064
Respected Contributor.

That is a great tip. Is it possible to list relationships beyond the first-order relationships from the top level CI? (For example, if A -> B -> C, you want to show A-> B and B->C as well).
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

A->B and B->C will be listed. A->C as (A->B->C) will not be listed unless A is related with C
menes fhtagn
gavin mills_2
Regular Contributor.

I have found the tip here fantastic and I can resolve a couple of long standing issues with it!

However, where can I find the syntax for these smart actions?Or can anyone help me ?

I am trying to create an action from Service Call to show open known errors, so far my syntax looks like so and it works:

"Problem" "Service=[Service;Name]" "Status=Closed" -ListAlways

What I actually would like to do is "status not equal to closed", but I cannot figure out the operator, if there isnt a "NOT EQUAL" then an "OR" operator will suffice

Any ideas?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

The Not Equal operator is !=
menes fhtagn
gavin mills_2
Regular Contributor.

That works brilliantly! Thanks again, (when I figure out how to give points I will do!)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Gavin,

I'm glad that this helped you. Thank you for wanting assigning points but in this case you cannot do this since I opened this thread :)
menes fhtagn
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi George,

Is it possible to display all Service Level records along with their Parent Service Name and related SLA records?

many thanks for your help

George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

I don't know! Why don't you try to find out? I will give you 10 points if you find it!
menes fhtagn
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey George!!

That's nice comment :-)

i tried to but failed and so thought of seeking your help
William_157
Honored Contributor.

Excellent man thanks for the information