Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIP: Display Relations Details in client

Highlighted
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

TIP: Display Relations Details in client

Hello people,

In a private e-mail conversation, an ITRC Member (Tom Marcus) shared a great tip: You can add any entity (well to be excact, almost any entity) in the shorcut bar, by entering its OID at the "File or URL" input box at "Add Shortcut"(you can find it in ifc_entities).

Today I though about that and said, ok, let's add the oid of "CI relation". While I wished that the "relations" will be listed I found more possible that merely the values of the "CI Relation" code will be listed.

Well... my wishes came true!

You can add any relation in the shortcut bar. Just do a

select ent_name, ent_oid from ifc_entities where ent_name like '%%'. As url enter the name of the oid.

Of course not all users will be able to see these things. It requires administrative rights since the "relation" entities are not authorizable. While you could make them authorizable it's a bad idea. And of course to make them authorizable meant that you will messed around with the DB something that invalidates the support.

Anyhoo, the great thing is that you can create any custom views and all the attributes of the related items are available as fields in the view. It's an easy way to quickly create reports without using external reporting tools.

Attached you can find a screenshot of my customizations...
menes fhtagn
10 REPLIES
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Re: TIP: Display Relations Details in client

Thanks George.
It works fine.

Best regards,
Mihai
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Is there a particular service pack you need? I couldn't get it going. I also assume you need to put something in place of "GIVE NAME HERE". What sorts of thing can you put in there?
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I don't know if a SP level is required. I didn't know even that this feature existed before Tom Marcus told be about that.
However it works for sure on SP20 and later

In name you can give anything you like. And you can insert almost any entity as found in table ifc_entities provided that there is a view for that entity.
menes fhtagn
Craig R Taylor
Collector

I think I misunderstood so I figured out what you meant in "Craigspeak" as it were.

I thought you meant to put the select statement into the shortcut. After rereading your message, I now understand that you use that query to get the OID which is what you enter as the shortcut URL.

Thanks again for that great tip George!
Craig R Taylor
Collector

One more thing:

I was able to do this on Service pack 11.

Cheers

Craig
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

The great benefit of this over "sd_dataform" is that you can export the views directly to excel. On the other hand this method is available only to accounts with sysadmin rights while the sd_dataform works for anyone.
menes fhtagn
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

Thanx a TON for sharing the info!! Very usefull!!

-Ashly A K
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Alain_18
Regular Collector

Hi there,

As usual well done George.

But you can display some relations with explorer views and cards.

See my attachment.

Alain
VanessaM
Regular Collector

Hi,

Thanks for share your datas. It´s an usefull idea. I am trying to apply your idea in my Service Desk client. I have found in ifc_entities table, and I have found the entity, but I create a new shortcut writting like "URL or file" the ENT_NAME, in tyhis case, CI relation and it doestn't work.
I have the spanish localization pack.

May you see the attach document, and help me to get to do your idea.

My version is SD 4.5 SP 24.

Thanks in advance.

The Pike
Honored Contributor

Vanessa,
You're supposed to enter the OID in the 'File or URL' field.

Points are welcome!

The Pike
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event