Source of the content of the srv.dat file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Source of the content of the srv.dat file

Hi,

Can someone provide info on from where the data in the srv.dat file (residing on the SD client machine) comes from? Is this data stored somewhere in the SD database which is retrieved and stored in a file called srv.dat when a user logs on to a SD client? i am just guessing.. Can someone provide the exact information?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anu
8 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Source of the content of the srv.dat file

Hi

when a user logs onto OVSD for the first time it stores the server name and any other available servers running at that time in the srv.dat file.

If you add additional servers in the future the users srv.dat file is not updated unless the user actually adds the new server name to th log on screen (basically if they log onto the new server. The file is not dynamically updated by the server to the client.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct Mark. My understanding was that whenever a user connects to HPSD, all the active servers in the REp-Servers table are recorded in srv.dat, and then if you can't connect via one, you will try others.

I checked today at a client - they've only had one app server until about 1 month ago when we added a second. Each of the users I checked has both servers listed in the srrv.dat file, but no-one has modified their user account entries - ie, HPSD has done this for them.
Cheers
Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Mark and ken for your inputs..

Ken I have got from your reply that there is some table in the Service Desk database which holds all data about all the active servers and then whenever a user connects to the SD application server this data is pulled from that table from database to the srv.dat file on the client machine? If this is the case then can you tell me which is that table ()exactly from which this server list is pulled and populated in the srv.dat file?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anu
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

I stand corrected on this. Note the second paragraph for the condition on this:

Starting Multiple Servers
In a multiple server environment, when a client connects to an
application server, a list of all application servers that are currently
running is sent to the client and stored in the file srv.dat in the user
profile. When the application server that the client is connected to fails,
the next server on the list takes over.

** However, if, at the moment the client connects to the application server,
there is only one server running, and afterwards more servers are
started, the client will not know about the other servers. Thus, if the
clientsâ server fails, no take-over will take place. This happen because
the list is only sent to the client when it first connects at the start of a
session. It is therefore recommended to start all your Service Desk
application servers in the multiple server environment before clients
start to connect.
When this happens, the client can be "manually" connected to another
application server by changing the hp OpenView service desk Server
name field in the account properties dialog box.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Anu, the table is Rep_Servers

Mark - that's interesting. I think that second para must mean within a given session...ie if you have a session open and add more servers then you won't know about them until you stop and restart your client session?

By the way Anu, one of the traps if you restore a Production database to say a Test environment, is that the Rep_Servers table can have the original Production servers in it, and the clients connecting to test can accidentally update Prod data! When we restore a database to dev or test, one of the steps is always to empty rep_severs.

Goodnight from Australia...it's 10pm here!
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Thank you so much Ken and Mark for your valuable inputs. Yes Mark is right. It is recommended to start all your Service Desk
application servers in the multiple server environment before clients start to connect so that when the clients connect its srv.dat file gets populated with data pertaining to all the live SD application server in the environment.

data provided by you has been very useful. thanks once again and Good Night Ken :-)thanks for replying thought it was getting very late.

Regards,
Anu.

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

If te answers have helped please give Mark and Ken some points (you should not give me any for this prompt)

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Yeah sure..!! I will do that right away. I was planning to do it neways. :-)..

Regards,
Anu