The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution field minimum 40 characters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Shivshankar Yad

Solution field minimum 40 characters

We are using HPOV Service Desk 5.1 Sp2 on HPUX platform, before the engineer closed the ticket we want the engineer to mandatory enter at least 40 characters in the solution field. Can someone help me to configure the solution field to minimum 40 characters.

Waiting for your prompt reply

Shiva
OpenVIew
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Solution field minimum 40 characters

Hello Shiva,

It can be done easily using a custom number field and two UI rules.

The first UI rule will be triggered when field solution loose focus to set this custom number to count characters from solution.

The second ui rule will be triggered when and item has been changed and this custom number is less than 40. Then display a message of ERROR type stating that solution must be > than 40 characters.

However there is a catch: User can fill this with 40 spaces.
menes fhtagn
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Just to add to what George said: you can ensure that at least 40 characters are entered; you can also check that they don't jsut use 40 spaces or 40 dots or just say "Fixed" and fill it to 40 charcaters but the the ONLY way to ensure good qualtiy useful information in the solution field is by training staff on the importance of such information and a process which allows you to follow up when an unacceptable solution is given.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Shivshankar Yad

Hi Grorge, Thanks for your prompt reply;

Do i need to create a customs number count if yes then how do i do that ??

Can you please copy the rules if you have already created.

Shiva
OpenVIew
Shivshankar Yad

Hi Ruth Porter;

We are definitely informed the Support engineer to follow the process and enter descriptive solution so that we can create the knowledge base. But still we want to make the solution field mandatory to minimum 40 characters.

I would appreciate if you can copy the rules if you are already using or Please guide me.

Regards
Shiva

OpenVIew
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Shiva,

To check that the solution field has at least 40 characters:

Create custom field - Data >Custom Fields>Service Call; activate a number field and call it (for example length of solution)

Then have 2 UI rules:

1. When value changes, condition: NOT solution(*) is empty, action: data update length of solution set to function count characters from on field Solution.

2. When value changes, condition: length of solution(*) less than 40,
action: user notifcation message.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Shivshankar Yad

Dear Ruth

wonderful excellent impressed.

Appreciate & Thanks a lot for the solution.
OpenVIew
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event