Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Software Installations and Software Licenses

Highlighted
Steve Schaefer
New Member.

Software Installations and Software Licenses

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Service Desk and was hoping to get some help regarding Configuration Management tracking of Software Installations and Software Licensing. Can anyone offer some advice as to how they are implementing this in Service Desk? We are using Service Desk 4.5 SP 15.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Software Installations and Software Licenses

How are you deploying the software to client PC's? Do you have a central repository of the licences?
Steve Schaefer
New Member.

Re: Software Installations and Software Licenses

We are just beginning the design of this. We currently have an external database (our License Database administered by Purchasing) which we would like to retire and use Service Desk in place of. Separately, our desktop engineering team is in charge of packaging and deploying apps into the environment. It would be nice to have these groups working in Service Desk in synch. My question is concerning how a typical organization would set up both Software Applications and Software Licenses in Service Desk and also how the system can be used to track software installations versus software licenses (i.e. do you set up Software Apps as Software CIs and Software Licenses as Maintenance Contracts or related CIs?). The tricky part Iâ m interested in understanding is how we can track different license types â for instance per user, per machine, per group, per site, enterprise, etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.