The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Action to start Remote Assistance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Smart Action to start Remote Assistance

Hi all,

I would like to make a smart action so that Help Desk staff can quickly get into remote assistance for a PC CI.

All I need is the command line for remote assistance. helpctr.exe brings up the help and support centre home page. I was hoping for a command line that I could provide the PC name as an argument and it would launch staight in.

Anyone already done this?

Cheers
6 REPLIES
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

Re: Smart Action to start Remote Assistance

Hi David,

Please clarify your request. Do you mean the remote desktop connection that comes with Windows?

Elias
If you can't solve it, post it :)
Eric Ung
Frequent Visitor
Solution

David,
Try this, see attached for instructions.
The only problem I have with this script is that it does not always launch the first time but will work every time afterwards. Good Luck ;) eric
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

If it is then yes it is feasible and real easy.

All you have to do is create an rdp file which is a text file with the parameters of the remote desktop connection and with an .rdp extension. I will later post an example.

Three lines are of interest in that file:

full address:s:192.168.5.17
username:s:yourlogonid
domain:s:yourdomain

Other parameters are setting up the display and sound etc...

Now all you have to do is to create a script that would replace the "full address"
parameter with the IP address of the PC you want to login to just before launching the rdp file.

If you have batch scripting knowledge that would be the best way to go about it since the rdp file is directly launchanble from inside a batch file.

Let me know if you need more help with any of the above
Elias Abboud
Honored Contributor

Attached is a sample rdp file.

The batch script to launch that file is:

-----------------------------
@ECHO OFF

c:
CALL c:\rep_IP.bat %1
c:\openview.rdp
-----------------------------

rep_IP.bat reads the rdp file, finds the "full address" line and replaces its value with the passed argument. I would do that in vbscript although it is feasible in batch script also.

Eric's solution is also very creative. Basicaly simulating an actual user interacting with the remote assitance application by pressing keyboard keys.

Hope this helps

PS: Do not forget the points...
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Thanks you Eric. That is exactly what I wanted - although I haven't tried it I'm sure it will work from looking at it. I'll try it next week.

And thanks Elias but it was specifically remote assistance not remote desktop I was after.

Cheers
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

We got the script and smart action working as per above. Excellent stuff.

Cheers
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event