Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Slow person search for person with duplicate search code

Highlighted
Steve Liddle
Trusted Contributor.

Slow person search for person with duplicate search code

Hi,

We have a person search code of surname + first initial. Our users are in the habit of entering the search code in the caller and assign to fields, then hitting tab, which resolves the code to the name. This works great if the person has a unique search code. For people who have non unique search codes it doesn't work so well. The application performs a person search on behalf of the user which takes around 10-15 seconds in our production environment.

We have checked the database and there are indexes on the per_searchcode and the table statistics are being updated.

Has anyone else had problems with slow person search based on per_searchcode and does anyone know how this can be improved?
3 REPLIES
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Re: Slow person search for person with duplicate search code

Hi Steve

Do you have other issues with slow response for large database calls?
How many persons do you have totally?
With our 883 persons, I get the results in less than half a second, even when I enter '*' in the searchfield (Caller or similar), which matches all persons.

It sounds to me as if you might have a database speed issue, or perhaps a connectivity issue. Have you checked the CPU utilization on the HP OpenView Server?
Do you do full backup of the server regularly?

regards,
Thorfinn
Steve Liddle
Trusted Contributor.

I have figured it out the solution:
- remove some of the columns from the All Persons view via Admin Console -> Presentation -> Search -> Person
- exit
- open the client, perform a person search, see that the columns are different and search is now faster
- open Admin Console -> Presentation -> Search -> Person and add the columns back into the All Person view

Now the search is very fast. Not sure why it works, but it works!!
Steve Liddle
Trusted Contributor.

Solution as described in my last post