cancel

Setting up folders for Configuration Management

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Setting up folders for Configuration Management

Looking at the Admin Guide in SD4.5 (currently running SP11), I reviewed the documentation on impelmenting foldering. How can I restrict certain roles/groups to specific CI Categories?

IE: I want to give Network personnel create, modify, view access to Network CIs but only view access to Server Hardware. Can I do this through foldering? If so, can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Do it right the first time
4 REPLIES
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Setting up folders for Configuration Management

You need to create a folder structure that is identical to your category structure. Set up the roles, so that each role only has write access to the folder with the same name as the category.

Then, you have to make sure that when the CIs are created they are put in the correct folder.

If people only have create access to one folder, then there are no problems, they can't create them in the wrong place.

If they have create access to multiple folders then it is probably best to set up a bunch of db rules, to move the CI to the relevant folder when the category is set.
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

You can setup your folders, either based on the CI categories or customer names/IDs or your workgroups. It's just logical, you can conclude on any other approach as well. Write business rules, to update the folders as soon as the category is selected. By default, category attribute for a CI will be madatory. It will make sure that you select a category before saving a CI. And once category is selected, the rules will make sure that the folder is populated. If you want to restrict the CI masters from assigning CIs to wrong folders, make the folder attribute read-only.

Nevertheless, the access details depend on the roles.
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Thank you for the help!
Moxie
Super Contributor.

Thank you for the excellent ideas!