Setting a Mandatory Field (SD 4.5 SP12)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter J Gray
Respected Contributor.

Setting a Mandatory Field (SD 4.5 SP12)

Hi,

I've had a mental block on how to set a field to be mandatory in SD 4.5 SP12. Can anyone advise.

Thanks,

Peter
14 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Setting a Mandatory Field (SD 4.5 SP12)

Hi Peter,

Admin console-security-prevntion-required fields-item

or use a UI rule to set a field as required based on conditions. The action to take in the rule is to use a stop notification pop up which will stop the user from saving the item until the meet the condition in the rule
Peter J Gray
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Mark
hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,
If we set the mandatory field for a particular item(say service call) from Admin -> Security->Prevention, that field will be set as mandatory for all the forms/templates for that item. Is there any way we can set mandatory fields for a particular form/template of that object only? For example, for service call form named abc i want caller to be mandatory field but for other forms of service call caller field is not mandatory.

Thanks and regards,

HPOVSD.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you use a UI rule to set the condition. The action the Ui rule does is a "User Notification" as an Error. The Error notification will keep popping up an user notifiction prompt until the user satisfies the condition and then it will stop popping

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you use a UI rule to set the condition. The action the Ui rule does is a "User Notification" as an Error. The Error notification will keep popping up an user notifiction prompt until the user satisfies the condition and then it will stop popping up

hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,
Even if you use, UI rule, that rule will be applied to all the forms/templates for the Service Call object. I want it to be applied only for one form in service call object.
Hope I am clear now.

Thanks and regards,

HPOVSD.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you can fire the UI rule for a particular template but not for a particular form. I'm not sure of dynamic forms changes this (SP 18) or adds extra functionaliry to achieve this.
hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Peter,
Please can you let me know how do I fire the UI rule for a particular template?

Thanks and regards,

HPOVSD.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Please note if you are on SP 18 (i think) or above you loose the functionality to fire a user notification "when a value has changed". If you set the rule to be fired "before the item is saved" it will allow you to use a popup notification.

The attachment shows setting a template in the rule
hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot. It does provide an option for templates. Any pointers how can we make it work for forms also??

Thanks once again,

HPOVSD.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

I have had the same requirement, firing rules only for specific forms.

The only way I could come up with was to put a custom text field on the form called "Form Name".

In the template which initially creates the form enter the name of the form. Then any rules you create can reference the name of the form in their criteria.

Hope this helps.
hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the solution. Is there any way we can get the name of the form (eg. Service call all fields) automatically filled in the new custom field "Form field", instead of typing in the same or in other words how can we access the name of the form?

Thanks and regards,

HPOVSD.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

You can't access the name of the form, that's the problem.

As I said you can use a template for creating new ones and have that field filled in in the template and therefore any forms created by the template will have it completed.

You can also select existing forms using Advanced find or a view etc. Then right click on the selected records and choose "Update All". You can then eneter the name of the form into the field. This will allow you to do a mass update rather than one record at a time.

Peter
hpovsd
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the valuable inputs. Your solution makes sense but the only drawback is that we need to manually fill in the FormName in the CustomField.
If we want to avoid typing in the form name, we need to create a template for setting the CustomField to FormName and for templates we don't require the CustomField as suggested by Mark.

Thanks and regards,

HPOVSD.