Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Session Time Out

Highlighted
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

Session Time Out

We seem to be having a problem where the system is not timing people out. We have the session time out set to 10 mins but I am seeing people as being logged on for more than 2 days. This is causeing some issues where we are hitting our max licenses in use and have to wait for people to close the app. Is there some setting we are missing that is causeing people not to be kicked off?
12 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Session Time Out

Hi anthony,

1. what version are upi using? there was a bug inan early SP for version 5 which caused problems like this

2. Are the users which are logged in usinga list which refreshes? ths make sit look as though they are active and so the timeout is not applied.

3. Can you "mark them for removal" using Audit>logge don users?

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

my apologies,

We are using Service Desk 4.5 SP17

I don't believe we have any screens that auto refresh.

Marking them for marked for removal does remove them from the system but I am getting a little tired of the 8 am calls about it.
MarkvL
Honored Contributor

Hello Anthony,

What Ruth suggested is that on the cleint machines the "automatic refresh interval" could be enabled.
You can find this in the menu under Tools\Options\general.

When the refresh interval is on the client automatically reconnects to refresh the view with the latest information.

Mark
HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

Yes, we do realize that some people have set this option. We have recently just turned off the ability to allow this option to be checked to help cut down on the number of people in the system.

As a test, I left my normal service account logged in over night. I logged in the next morning, logged in with the system account and it still showed my service account was still active. I checked to ensure that I do not have the automatic refresh turned on and I didn't. Would there be another reason that I was able to stay logged into the system even though I passed the idle timeout?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi anthony,

As far as I know, the system only logs you out if you are using a concurrent license and another user with a concurrent license tries to get in when the limit is reached. Then if you have been inactive for the timeout period, you will be thrown out. If when you caome back, concurrent license no longer is reached you will not even notice.

So I would only be concerned if it does not behave like this.

If you want to check what users the DB thinks is logged on try:

select SES_ACC_OID, ACC_OID,ACC_LOGINNAME, ACC_CONCURRENTUSER, ACC_NAMEDUSER from rep_sessions, rep_accounts where SES_ACC_OID=ACC_OID ;

Hope this helps, ruth
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

Well, we just hit another limit even after we purchased a few more licenses. Now, according to the previous statement, it should log out anyone who has been inactive in the system per our time out which is 10 mins. When I logged in with a named account to check the logged on users, it showed that my concurrent connection was still active.

I ran that SQL statement to see and it showed that everyone logged in is a concurrent user and our named system account.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

I am not sure what you mean when say "it should log out ..." - as I said before it only should do this if the concurrent license limit has been reached.

Are you saying that the limit HAS been reached and people are getting rejected when there are inactive sessions which could be thrown out?

Have you done a test to check whether an inactive session does get thrown out when the limit is reached?

Hope this helps, Ruth
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

Yes, this is what is happening. The limit of concurrent users has been reached, and it does not remove the people who have been inactive to allow the new person to log on.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

In 4.5 I have not come across any problems in this area so unless you can find why these sessions appear active, I really don't know what else to suggets than to log a bug with HP.

Regards, Ruth
Anthony Dalferr
Collector

I think we are going to submit a case with HP to see if they have any suggestions.

One more question though. The session timeout is controlled through the Server Settings Window correct? Also, if a change is made to this, does the App server need to be restarted for this change to take affect or is this an instant change?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

I am pretty sure you shoudl restrat the service if you change server settings.

Regards, Ruth
Mike Abes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anthony,

We have experienced a similar issue with our implementation (SD4.5 SP20).

The session timeout will kick out people whose clients are idle when the number of concurrent licences are maxxed out.

First thing that we did was check how many of the named user licences we had left. Going through our user accounts, I found a couple of people who were listed as named users who rarely used the client (particularly execs and managers). Going through the concurrent licenced users, I set some of the accounts which were concurrent to named (thus slightly relieving the pressure on the concurrent licences).

Next thing I did was perform an ongoing audit of the licences by scheduling a recurring task in Windows Task Scheduler to run a Java app I wrote (with help from forum users!) to build a data set containing the total number of users and the number of concurrent users logged in at any one time.

Using this data, I was able to identify whether or not purchasing more licences was merited (in our case, we only hit the max number of licences about once a fortnight, hardly worth the expense of new licences).

I've attached the Java App, hope that helps you - you will have to change the source code and compile yourself, I have commented it so it is a bit easier.

To run the app, compile it from the directory that you copy it to (javac UserAudit.java) then run the following command

java -cp "c:\folderwhereUserAudit.class is" UserAudit

The data set will be from the path that you run the command from. In time, I'll fix this little program up to ask these questions before it runs, but until then it is as is!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event