Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service pages installation

Ganesh Swamy
New Member.

Service pages installation

Hi
I am trying to setup service pages for a group of 5000 users who would like to access the Service Desk application(version 4.5, SP17). I am planning to use Win2003 server as OS for hosting the service pages.As Service pages needs Apache Webserver with Tomcat, I am planning to install these on the same win2k3 server.I need the following information
1. How can I acheive the scalability for the machine hosting the service pages to deal with the load of 5000 users.
2. How many licenses should I procuring

ANy info would help me.
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service pages installation

Hi Ganesh,
I can help with the license question. If all these 5000 users are just going to logging calls for themselves, then they are Service Pages users and these do NOT need a license.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

No licenses required for Service pages users.

For scaleability you could look at installing the service pages on say 2 or more servers.
Use DNS to point the service pages URLS to a URL alias and to balance the connections so users can just use 1 URL to access service pages.
Ganesh Swamy
New Member.

Thank you for the responses.Appreciate your help. Have some more queries:-
WOuld it be worthwhile if I install service pages,Apache webserver & Tomcat on the same machine as Service Desk application server to take care of load balancing. I am thinking in this line as SD app server has in-built load balancing feature. So if the number of connections increase automatically, these will be distributed across the application servers. Please correct me if this thought that does not work.

Highlighted
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

the load balancing of the web url's was mentioned as I have found that when you install Service Pages on 2 different systems you end up with 2 different url's. Setting up an alais and something like round robin would deal with balancing the requests. You can install the service pages on the same server as the app server and let the weighting deal with it there also.