Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service desk client 4.5

Highlighted
David Sheetz
Acclaimed Contributor

Service desk client 4.5

SD client 4.5 with SP 32 does not work with Windows 7 64 bit. This is related to a Java error. I have the latest Sun Java x64 version installed but still get erros that Java class not loaded. Any suggestions? This should work in Win 7
7 REPLIES
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Service desk client 4.5

Hello David,

There is no version of Service Desk client that runs on a 64bit OS version.

Additionally, I think that Service Desk 4.5 has not yet being certified by HP to run on Windows 7.

Regards;

Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
David Sheetz
Acclaimed Contributor

I understand you do not support it but you should. 64 bit OS has been around for some time and you are still using MS java which has not been supported for years. If you look at the error I get it has notjhing to do with 64 bit it has to do with how you use MS Java not Sun Java
The Pike
Honored Contributor

David,

You might want to slow down a bit there.

Take your supportability concerns with your HP Account Manager instead of telling other forum members "they" should support it as if they were HP developers.

Also, if you take a couple of minutes to search first -which is standard practice in any forum-, you will find that there is a thread discussing Windows 7 + OVSD already.

Searching does not take longer than a minute or two.

Windows 7 and Service Desk 4.5 compatibility?:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1363263

Also, since other knowledgeable professionals are taking the time to answer your questions, you may want to reciprocate by assigning points to each reply. More on this here:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Points are welcome ;)

The Pike
David Sheetz
Acclaimed Contributor

OK, i apologize if this was answered by another user (I assumed it was an HP employee) but here is my point: instead of saying HP does not support 64 bit OS or a lttle search will help, think of this: I did search and found a lot of irrelevant information. I fixed this on my own so it does work in windows 7 x64. If people will look before they respond you should not worry about OS version before checking the error to see if it is a known issue. I am a user at a large company and do not know how to contact an HP account manager nor should I have to to get a simple resolution. The fix was this: unistall MSJava and reinstall, check it with the MSJAVAVM diagnostic found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4e38f4f9-ce7e-4271-8836-a7d7293a992f , once java was working I reinstalled HPOV client 4.5 and SP17 now it works.
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Great effort in making it work...

Still, it is not a supported configuration, and normally I would not recommend other users to use unsupported configurations, as when problems start to arise with application/performance/end users you won't be able to get support with HP.

Then you will have to deal and fix everything by your own by keeping that configuration...
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
TheHeff
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Guys
This is my first forum post. I don't mean for it to sound to heavy. BUT.
I can understand David's frustation here. When a new OS version is under development in this case Windows 7. Advanced copies are sent to software development companys like HP.
When users try re-installing software they once used on their old OS, they may get install problems. Microsoft usually get the blame here, not the software vendor who have had advanced copies of the new OS release, usually for months in advance.
I don't understand when I hear software companies say that this is an unsupported OS. - Surely it's down to the software vendors to get their application working with a new OS. I think is called progress.

Damien
The Pike
Honored Contributor

TheHeff,

Welcome to the forums.

That doesn't sound heavy at all. It's clear all of us SD admins and consultants alike share the frustration caused by some of HP's decisions. Expressing frustration is very different from bashing the product or giving attitude, especially when other forum members are only trying to help.

Of course, a few of us have been with the product long enough to know what can be expected from HP in regards to supporting newer OS's. For example, MS released Windows Vista to the public in January 2007. HP would officially support SD4.5 on top of Windows Vista starting with SP23 (June 2007).

With an application that's in its last days and HP making it very clear there will be no efforts to enhance the product to focus on its replacement (sm7.x) instead, there's little space for "progress" as you call it and that's unfortunate. For me, as a user, it's a little hard to tolerate but as a business I can understand profit or cost-oriented strategies.

The Pike
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event