Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Today and Callers name via Requester field??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Service Today and Callers name via Requester field??

Users here have always wanted to have the Service Caller's name displayed in the Service Today, but it isn't available. However I just noticed that Requester is available and that is a Service Call field also. Is there any reason why I shouldn't write a UI rule to keep the Requester in Sync with the Caller Field in Service Calls, then add it to Service Today views?

SD4.5 sp17

Cheers
4 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Today and Callers name via Requester field??

Hi,

there is no reason that I can think of NOT to do what you mentioned.

Use a UI rule if you can to limit impact on the DB.

The other option is to swap the requestor field onto the form so users use that (not sure if you can set the label to caller) and update all the previous records using data exchange with the caller value into the requestor field.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello David,

Service Calls, Problems, Projects, Changes, Incidents and Work Orders are "Service Today" entities. This means that except from their own fields they inherit the fields of "Service Today" entity.

In service today views you can link *only* fields that belong to "Service Today", that is fields that are common between "Service Today" entities. Caller is a Service Call field, Requester is a "Service Today" field.

The best thing to do is as Mark wrote, use a ui rule for two reasons:
1. It has lesser impact on the db level
2. Sometimes for no apparent reason db rules don't work or took much time to be executed.

However this means that "Requester" must be a read/write field for all roles or at least for the roles that fill the caller field.
menes fhtagn
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks guys.

Works like a treat! Will make many people very happy here.

I think I'll do the same with Work Orders - set it automatically to the Entered by Person.

Requestor isn't really relevant for Problem or Incident and we have requestor as mandatory on Change anyway. Might add field and make mandatory on Project.

Cheers
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi David - I actually do this for Incidents and Problems as well bu setting the Requestor to the Entered By Person. Makes Service Today more useful.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au