Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Parent field not providing a full list

Highlighted
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

Service Parent field not providing a full list

I am reorganizing the Services in Service Desk and changing the parent-child relationships in some. I know that if the Service type is listed as Operation Services, that only other Operation Services can be the parent, but how do I change it to a business service - that group of options is grayed out. Do I have to recreate it in order to change the service type??

We're on 4.5 SP 25.
3 REPLIES
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Parent field not providing a full list

Hi,

I am not 100% sure about this... although on top of my head I remember that once I had to do the followig:

Unrelate the Parent Service and save the Service again (with no parent). Then when you reopen it, the Service Type checkbox should be editable.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Colleen Talbert
Super Contributor.

Thanks for your quick reply, but currently for the one I'm looking at, there is no parent at all. That's part of my clean up.

I also tried changing the status to Unsupported and reopening it, but it still doesn't let me change the service type.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate the help!!

Thanks,
Colleen
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Looking into the online help I could find the following statement:

"NOTE: You cannot change a service's type if it is related to configuration items or other services. If you need to change a service's type, for example, from an underpinning service to an operations management service, you must first remove relations with all services and configuration items"

Hope it helps...
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager