cancel

Service Page: problem with install

Highlighted
Vova Ivanov
Contributor.

Service Page: problem with install

Hello,
I need help!

i installed j2sdk.1.4.2_12, service page and sp27. system environment variables JAVA_HOME entered

when i try to open http://localhost:8080/sd-sp45/index.html - all works fine, but when i click on the link "Login" - error occurs Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSPNote: sun.tools.javac.Main has been deprecated.
error: Invalid class file format in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\webapps\sd-sp45\WEB-INF\lib\sp.jar(com/hp/itsm/ssp/beans/SdClientBean.class). The major.minor version '49.0' is too recent for this tool to understand.

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\work\localhost\sd-sp45\Login$jsp.java:3: Class com.hp.itsm.ssp.beans.SdClientBean not found in import.
import com.hp.itsm.ssp.beans.SdClientBean;
^
error: Invalid class file format in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar(java/lang/Object.class). The major.minor version '49.0' is too recent for this tool to understand.

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\work\localhost\sd-sp45\Login$jsp.java:0: Class java.lang.Object not found in class javax.servlet.GenericServlet.
package org.apache.jsp;
^
4 errors, 1 warning

9 REPLIES
Sam decosta
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Service Page: problem with install

Hi Vova,

Check have you defined Service pages server host name in your HPSD->general settings.

Thanks,
Avinash
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

As of service pack 25, SD supports java 5, maybe try using this java version?

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/FID/DOCUMENTUM_ITSM009360

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Gurevich
Super Contributor.

error: Invalid class file format in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\rt.jar(java/lang/Object.class)

Do you have jre6 installed? It seems than service pages try to use it, but class-files are compiled for minor java version.

What version of service pages did you install? they have to be upgraded too.
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

This is definitely caused by you using older JRE than class files used in ServicePages.
It's Miller Tim
Regular Contributor.

I'm having the same problem. I have the original media, no SP, and installed the service pages. I then installed the jre 1.3 and upgraded the HPSD patch 31. Reboot. Then installed the jre 6 sp16 and still no go. Lots of errors, but the main one is The major.minor version '49.0' is too recent for this tool to understand....

Any help would be totally appreciated!!!
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

What I wrote above still stands: Service Pages use too old a Java version. What it says is that it encounters class files with too high version it does not understand.

Installing new Java is not enough - you need to reconfigure Service Pages (Toomcat) to actually use it as well. Have a look at its logs as to what version it actually uses.
It's Miller Tim
Regular Contributor.

Ok, so after a LONG night last night I got these to work finally. It really wouldn't be hard for HP to put something together, but since I did it and I'm sure others in the future will too this is what I did.

Configuration:
1. Service Desk 4.5 SP31 Java6 SP16 on standalone machine fresh install.
2. Service Desk 4.5 Service Pages on another stand alone machine fresh install.

Install instructions
1. I installed windows standard 2003 SP2.
2. I installed Java JDK, version 1.5.0_14 from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/. Default options all the way.
3. I installed Java JRE, version 1.5.0_14 from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/. Default options all the way.
5. I installed Service Pages, rebooted.
6. Backed up C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages to a backup directory. Just copy and paste.
7. Downloaded Tomcat 5.0.28 (the ZIP file NOT the windows executable) from http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi
8. Open Zip file and copy all contents to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages. Select YES to overwrite.
9. Modify the C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\bin\installtomcatservice.bat using notepad.
10. Replace all "org.apache.catalina.startup.bootstrapservice" with "org.apache.catalina.startup.bootstrap". Remove the quotes of course.
11. Replace parameter "DEFAULT" with C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\jre\bin\client
12. Run C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\bin\installtomcatservice.bat.
13. Start Service using windows services mmc.
14. Install SP31.
15. Copied C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\lib
16. Verified that my sd_application_server contained my fully quallified Service desk application server name ie:MTSD.millertime.corp in the web.xml file in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\webapps\sd-sp45\WEB-INF
17. Verified the path of my JAVA_HOME was set to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14 as an environment variable.
18. Verified the path of my TOMCAT_HOME was set to C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\service pages\

Everything worked from there. Now, this is all depending on what service pack you have on your system, making sure your defaults are set, etc, etc. But it will work with some playing around.

Thanks HP for providing the WORST documentation I have ever worked with.

-It's Miller Time
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Whoa! I don't recall installing Service Pages to be so cumbersome. Actually, I've installed it several times on my sandbox and installing is a breeze.
It's Miller Tim
Regular Contributor.

I'm sure it is if you have updated media, a support contract etc. I have the original media from 2002 and have not had a need for a support contract. Now that we have started to grow I have needed to install updates, from a non patched system.

The documentation is confusing, there isn't one spot to go to to see what needs to be done. Maybe I'm being a little harsh here, but the application should have documentation for those of us who don't run enterprise systems.

I've seen you on a lot of posts and am sure I'll be asking questions soon. Integration to Microsoft System Center Operations Manager is my next feat.....

Anyway, I got it working...a lot of testing, Google searching and looking at this forum got me where I am up and running with the service pages. I love ovsd 4.5 and will probably run in for years to come.