Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Pack Installation Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jeff Poling

Service Pack Installation Issue

We installed Service Pack 15 last night. When some users attempt to upgrade their client, they get a dialog box asking for the MSI source file (see attached file). Even when they specify the correct path, it continues prompting for the MSI. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Jeff
4 REPLIES
Mugilvannan
Regular Collector

Re: Service Pack Installation Issue

Jeff,
Its a known issue. Plz refer http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278503
If U need a helping hand, U will find one at the end of your arm
Jeff Poling

Can you provide more details on the issue? The MS KB article did not seem to apply to my situation.

Jeff
Marc Hummel
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Jeff,
What happens with the msi install is this.

When you first installed the clients the directory from which you initially installed the client is in a registry key that points to the 'source' drive of the original install media... what happens is when you use the msi update it sees these reg entries and errors out because you are installing from a new location...

I have tried unsuccessfully removing the keys, I've tried Microsofts msi removal tool unsuccessfully, what I ended up doing was a complete uninstall and reinstall of the clients from a shared network folder THAT WILL NOT CHANGE...

Hope that helps answer your question.
gl
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.

had it once, the only solution I found was inserting the CD in the machine of the clients...
Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event