Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Desk log file size(logserver.txt)

Highlighted
aks3183
Super Contributor.

Service Desk log file size(logserver.txt)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me does service desk 4.5 has some inbuilt functionality to limit the size of the logfile say logserver.txt if it goes beyond a certain limit? That is archiving the data of logfile and clearing it fo further use.

If it has how it does that?

If not then what can be the best practice to do that?
9 REPLIES
Almási János
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Service Desk log file size(logserver.txt)

I do not know any possibilities to limit the size. I recommend a daily log rotation. On Windows platform the easiest is to copy the logserver.txt to an other location, and overwrite the original logserver.txt by a 0 byte size file. If you do this you do not have to stop the application server since it locks the logserver.txt.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you either do it manually or write a command script and schedule it to roll the logs.
aks3183
Super Contributor.

Thanx for the reply Mark.

You mean that there is no inbuilt mechanism provided by SD for thi and its possible only to do it via a script.

One more thing Mark....is there any specific message in logserver.txt which tells that server is crashin or going to crash soon??
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

We find the simplest thing is to run a script any time the HPSD application server service is stopped; the script we use includes the following which keeps the last 7 files:

@echo on
@cd %SD_SERVERHOME%
@cd ..\log
@del logserver-7.txt
@ren logserver-6.txt logserver-7.txt
@ren logserver-5.txt logserver-6.txt
@ren logserver-4.txt logserver-5.txt
@ren logserver-3.txt logserver-4.txt
@ren logserver-2.txt logserver-3.txt
@ren logserver-1.txt logserver-2.txt
@ren logserver.txt logserver-1.txt
exit

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
aks3183
Super Contributor.

Hi Ruth..thanx for the reply.

One thing i wud like to know is that what is the specific message in logserver.txt which signifies that the SD server is crashing or going to crash.

Is there any other tool which can be used to monitor the size of logserver.txt or monitoring through a script is the best practice?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Do you use OVO or a similar product. OVO can monitor the size of the file or text within the file.
aks3183
Super Contributor.

We are using NetIQ Mark.

Please let me know about message in the logserver.txt which signifies that app server is down.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I popped a few in here

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1126830

If you start monitoring thee you will them be able to attribute them to they type of issue that they are refering to.
aks3183
Super Contributor.

That was posted by me Mark.

I am having a test environment here where i am not having messages related to app server going down. Thats why i asked for specific messages. Do you ahve them?