Service Desk limitations

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jack_Hertz
Valued Contributor.

Service Desk limitations

Hi all,

I've got a question that i've wondered for a while and before maybe contacting HP on it I thought I would hear what self-experience on your behalf would say about it.

I have Service Desk application Server installed on a 3,2Ghz Pentium with 4,0 GB of memory on a Windows Server 2003 and nothing else running on that server other than Service Desk ( even Service Pages are on another server ). The database is running on a separate server with more than enough bandwidth between each other.

On a normal situation there are between 80 to 100 users connected via Service Desk client and another 100 through Service Pages.

What I was wondering is what are the Service Desk limitations to this kind of hardware in terms of Service Calls, CIs, Persons, Connected Users, etc

Just checking if it would be good to start thinking about some load balancing.

Sorry for the long question and thanks all :).

Cheers
6 REPLIES
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Desk limitations

hi!

Could you tell us about the growth in number of tickets?

Since you have a very good number of users, load balancing is a pretty good idea.

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Jack_Hertz
Valued Contributor.

We have a daily growth of around 200 new service calls per day and 100 workorders. Total right now in the database is 20.000 workorders and more than 30.000 service calls.

I have some documentation regarding service desk load balancing handed out at the last HP Universe in Vienna but what would you guys recommend as a limit for a single application server so that I can estimate "how much" load balancing it takes to optimize the current situation ?
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

hi!

Number of tickets looks okey. We have more than 500 incidents per day, plus Service Calls, Work orders etc.

Load balancing will give you one more advantage: if one server is down or you want to take one server for some maintains(patch updating etc), the service to the users will not get affected.

We are using NLB for load balancing and high availability

I am uploading a file. I have one more with a different method. Let me know if you need that.

btw: could you please post the document which HP gave you ? I would like to have look at it.

-Regards,
Ashly.

Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Another aspect of the equation is the number of rules and scheduled tasks. Too many rules in a given module increases the amount of time it takes to save and process each item while increased numbers of scheduled tasks consume memory.

HP has told us that each server should have no more than 10,000 scheduled tasks although we've think that the threshold for optimum performance is around 5,000 scheduled tasks.
Jack_Hertz
Valued Contributor.

We do have a lot of rules to manage the workflow and mainly the ones doing integration with Siebel, Sap, Remedy and others, those are the ones that have a really big impact on the app server.

Attached is the file HP provided regarding SD 4.5 tuning.
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Very funny!! Looks like people are too "teche", the understand only the Assemble language !!!
I would rate the HP's performance as 5 (in a scale of 1 to 10, where 10=Very Good and 1=Very Bad)

I hope HP will take these inputs and better their services, which is beneficial to HP as well as to its customers.

Keeping the finger crossed
-Ashly