Did you mean: 

Service Desk Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
simon_164
Regular Collector

Service Desk Installation

I am trying to install service desk 5.0.

First I installed it with (unsupported SQL Server 2005 express edition) --> doesn't work.
Second I tried to install it with MSDE 2000A. Also doesn't work.
I am basically getting two errors, if I try to create a new database user, I get error connecting to database. If I try to use an already created user, I get the error user does not exist.

I did create an empty database "helpdesk" and then created a user "sduser" and gave the user the db_owner permission on that database. can anybody give me specific installation instructions? the HP install guide is very basic doesn't give any information about the SQL database.
12 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Service Desk Installation

Hello simon,

While I cannot help you with the installation problem, is it necessary to install OVSD 5.0?

I urge you to reconsider, OVSD 4.5 has more functionality than 5.xx, is faster and more stable. You should take this under consideration, if you can avoid OVSD 5.xx, by all means avoid it!
menes fhtagn
simon_164
Regular Collector

Well,
I will try to find the Service desk 4.5 CD.
however i would like to install this one because i already have it. I spent more than 2 days changing and modifying my sql to be able to know what is the problem but nothing :-S.

I am now going to try it with SQL Server 2000, but still someone can give me the installation instructions?
simon_164
Regular Collector

So i installed SQL server 2000. but I am still have the same bloody errors. I am doing something wrong somewhere but I don't know what?

the errors are:
- If i choose to create a new database user I get the error: DBA Login Failed with some java stuff.
- If i choose to use existing database user I get the error "user ... does not exist".
I have tried the 'sa' user, the 'sduser', the local administrator account. Nothing !!
I am getting out of my mind.

Hello,
First you installed it on unsupported SQL Server 2005 - shouldn't work.
Seccond - you installed it on MSDE 2000A - still shouldn't work.
And last - if you install on sql server 2000 without sp4 - it still is unsupported and shouldn't work
simon_164
Regular Collector

Nop, same thing after 2000 sp4.

I also tried service desk 5.0 SP1. nothing is working.

Can anyone point out the right installation steps, specially for SQL server.
simon_164
Regular Collector

Any body can tell me what are the steps for a service desk installation, specially in terms of SQL preparation. what should I do in SQL. I am using SQL 2005 with service desk 5.1. however i can use SQL 2000 with service desk 4.5. I tried everything but it doesn't seem to work.

1. On DB server check that it accepts sql authentication
2. Create database and user, which has full rights.
3. Copy SD5.1 sp2 installation files localy
4. disable the Use Temporary Folders checkbox in the Terminal Services
Configuration screen. To access this screen, select:
Start â Settings â Control Panel â Administrative Tools â
Terminal Services.
5. Start primary server installation/custom
6. Uncheck "install demo data" - we had problems before with that
7. Just install everything - it should work fine now..
simon_164
Regular Collector

Same problem, same database problem.
Can you point out a document for that, maybe m missing something.

Just installation guid. Can you give more details about environment:
1. Are db and SD on the same server
2. which operating system it runs on
3. which SD service pack you use (you just stated 5.1)
4. exact error text

As i understood you just cant connect to db so it means its simple problem, which should be related to supported environments or creation of connection to db
simon_164
Regular Collector

DB and SD on same server.

Windows Server 2003 SP1 with Service Desk 5.0 SP1.

SQL Server 2005 express edition ( i also tried windows SQL server 2000 sp4).

Exact errors are attached in a zip file. I get the first error if i try to create a database user and the second and third error if i try to use existing user.
simon_164
Regular Collector

Please can anybody give me the installation steps of SD 5.1 with SQL from A to Z on windows server 2003?

I need to install it and it is not happening. I know that I am doing something wrong but I am not finding it.

Windows Server 2003 SP1 with Service Desk 5.0 SP1. - use SD 5.1 SP2, otherthise there is high possibility that there will be problems.

SQL 2005 is supported from SD5.1 sp1.

Did you checked that SQL authentication is enabled that is did you checked if you could connect with any other tool with username and password?

Silly suggestions, but nothing else comes to my mind. Contact me through msn if you need more ideas - Eltex@delfi.lt..
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event