Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Service Desk Failover scenario

Highlighted
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Service Desk Failover scenario

Hi,

I have a setup in which there are two Service Desk application servers (SD1, SD2) pointing to a single database. The "Join multiple servers" has been selected. We have a client which is accessing the SD1 application server. We started the SD1 and SD2 application servers and the started the client. At this instant the srv.dat file got populated with details of both the servers (SD1, SD2).

Now to check the failover scenario, we manually made the SD1 application server down. We also closed the client. Now when we tried to start the client again it is giving an error.. "failed to connect". We were expecting that noticing that SD1 application server is down, the client should failover to the next application server listed in the srv.dat file. But this didnt happen. :-(.

Can someone point where we have gone wrong in the settings?

Any info would be very useful.

Regards,
Anu
16 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Service Desk Failover scenario

Hi,

one thing to rule out:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\user profile\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk
edit the file "user_settings.xml"
check that the below value is set to false.

false
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Josh for your suggestion.

I have verified this setting in the user_settings.xml file. But the "USEONLYTHISSERVER" setting was already set to false.

The failover is still not happening with this setting intact.

Any other suggestions??

Any info will be useful.

Regards,
Anu
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Sorry.. i means "Thanks Mark"... sorry for the confusion. Hope you dont take it wrongly. :(
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

No problem,

for a quick test set the value to true and the server detaisl to that of SD2, save the file and then launch a clisnt session again to be sure that you can connect to the SD2 server

DO you start the application servers by the start-programs menu or are they installed as windows services.
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Yes I start the application server from start menu ---> programs

I have carried out the setting which you asked to do. With these settings I am able to logon to SD2 application server.

So wat next?
FXCISD
Super Contributor.

Hye SD5.1 supports only load balancing as of now.
The failover feature will be enabled only in SP3.

-Franz
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Currently I am using SD4.5. My understanding was that srv.dat file will be used for failover? Isnt it right?

Regards,
Anu
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Anu,

Yes, you are right. srv.dat is used on the client to find out to which server the client should connect.

Mark my words,
Josh
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi, a quick test. start both servers and this time stop SD2 and see if the client connects or does the failover to SD1.

Attach the srv.dat as well.
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark,
I had made the required changes in user_settings.xml as suggested by you earlier. Now I stopped the SD2 and tried connecting the client. It gave an error, "Failed to connect".
The srv.dat file generated is attached.

Is there something else we can try to make this work? :(
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Can you resolve all the OVSD application server names from a command prompt for both forward and reverse lookps? Do you get both the IP address and the FQDN from a system running the OVSD client?

It looks like the second server entry is showing just the ip address. Not enough for the failover not to work but worth checking out anyway.

Stop and restart the application services and check the logs. DOes it show anything out of the ordinary?
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Mark, Can you tell me what should be the ideal format of the srv.dat file?
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Either the problem is in the DNS, as Mark suggests, or is in the server_settings.xml.

Users sometimes have DNS problems when machines are in different subnets, and they need to qualify more fully the name.

-Josh
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

the format looks fine (looks like you subsituted the fqdn) for the first two entries. The 3rd entry refeences the IP address which is not ideal as users dont generally use the IP address to connect to the app servers. Names are prefered for obvious reasons.
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

Yes, I too think it is something related to DNS, may be not able to resolve the FQDN name to the correct IP.. need to check this out.

Regarding the format of the srv.dat file, I asked for the format because each time the format is differing and its quite confusing. Is there any standard format like first the FQDN name of the primary server will be listed then the Ipaddress of the primary server and then the IP address of the secondary server? Need to know this..

and I am not sure why IPaddress is getting displayed for the SD2 server :-(..
CA1457266
Respected Contributor.

I have checked... DNS is able to resolve the FQDN to the correct IP address, but still the problem exist. I m suspecting that the srv.dat file is not getting created properly, not sure though.

I m stuck... failover not happening..!!! :-(